Appleby’s investment funds team comprises over 50 lawyers working in each of the world’s leading offshore fund domiciles – Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey – together with the Isle of Man, Mauritius and the Seychelles. Further broad jurisdictional expertise is available from Appleby’s offices in Hong Kong and Shanghai where our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide real-time, multijurisdictional legal advice.
We advise on the structuring of all types of investment funds, investment management and co-investment arrangements, and separate account mandates. We also work across the spectrum of alternative asset classes, including hedge funds, private equity, real estate, venture capital and infrastructure, plus Shari’ah-compliant and hybrid strategies.
Our investment funds team also advises established funds on their downstream transactional work and financing activities. And throughout the life cycle of the investment funds, and we can provide managers, sponsors and general partners, together with directors, investors and creditors, with access to dispute resolution services whenever they are needed.
In each of our markets, we have a powerful team of investment fund specialists that possess the commercial aptitude, industry knowledge and legal skills necessary to ensure that all our clients’ fund and transaction structures are optimally designed to meet their needs, and the needs of their target investors.
Appleby has a dedicated and responsive team of investment funds lawyers who are able to draw upon the skills of our capital markets, structured finance and insurance teams to provide advice on a full range of innovative investment products.
We regularly advise private and public listed companies, boutiques, prime brokers, investment management companies and investment advisers in relation to:
- Establishing investment vehicles in all of our offshore jurisdictions (Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Mauritius and the Seychelles), particularly for equity funds, bond funds, commodities and option funds, index funds, real property funds (closed ended), hedge funds, alternative investment funds, private equity funds and guaranteed funds
- Mergers and acquisitions and changes to the domicile of mutual funds
- Preparing and advising on disclosure and filing requirements
- Listings of investment funds on the Bermuda (BSX), the Cayman Islands (CSX) and The International Stock Exchange (TISE)
- Offerings by Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Mauritius and Seychelles funds
- Preparing and negotiating contractual documentation
- Meeting the requirements of the Bermuda Investment Business Act 2003
- Optimal structure
- Repackaging investment products
Our Funds & Investment Services team acts for a number of Appleby’s public company clients and is well versed in:
- Securities law and practice relevant to the listing of special purpose vehicles on international stock exchanges and the Bermuda Stock Exchange (BSX), the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange (CSX) and The International Stock Exchange (TISE)
- Initial public offerings and debt or equity issues
- Structuring business combinations by tender offer, amalgamation or court-ordered scheme of arrangement
Our lawyers undertake the formation of limited and general partnerships, advising on:
- The preparation and negotiation of partnership documentation
- Administration requirements