Appleby’s investment funds team comprises over 50 lawyers working in each of the world’s leading offshore fund domiciles – Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey – together with the Isle of Man, Mauritius and the Seychelles. Further broad jurisdictional expertise is available from Appleby’s offices in Hong Kong and Shanghai where our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide real-time, multijurisdictional legal advice.
We advise on the structuring of all types of investment funds, investment management and co-investment arrangements, and separate account mandates. We also work across the spectrum of alternative asset classes, including hedge funds, private equity, real estate, venture capital and infrastructure, plus Shari’ah-compliant and hybrid strategies.
Our investment funds team also advises established funds on their downstream transactional work and financing activities. And throughout the life cycle of the investment funds, and we can provide managers, sponsors and general partners, together with directors, investors and creditors, with access to dispute resolution services whenever they are needed.
In each of our markets, we have a powerful team of investment fund specialists that possess the commercial aptitude, industry knowledge and legal skills necessary to ensure that all our clients’ fund and transaction structures are optimally designed to meet their needs, and the needs of their target investors.
Appleby has a dedicated and responsive team of investment funds lawyers who are able to draw upon the skills of our capital markets, structured finance and insurance teams to provide advice on a full range of innovative investment products.
We regularly advise private and public listed companies, boutiques, prime brokers, investment management companies and investment advisers in relation to:
- Establishing investment vehicles in all of our offshore jurisdictions (Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Mauritius and the Seychelles), particularly for equity funds, bond funds, commodities and option funds, index funds, real property funds (closed ended), hedge funds, alternative investment funds, private equity funds and guaranteed funds
- Mergers and acquisitions and changes to the domicile of mutual funds
- Preparing and advising on disclosure and filing requirements
- Listings of investment funds on the Bermuda (BSX), the Cayman Islands (CSX) and The International Stock Exchange (TISE)
- Offerings by Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Mauritius and Seychelles funds
- Preparing and negotiating contractual documentation
- Meeting the requirements of the Bermuda Investment Business Act 2003
- Optimal structure
- Repackaging investment products
Our Funds & Investment Services team acts for a number of Appleby’s public company clients and is well versed in:
- Securities law and practice relevant to the listing of special purpose vehicles on international stock exchanges and the Bermuda Stock Exchange (BSX), the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange (CSX) and The International Stock Exchange (TISE)
- Initial public offerings and debt or equity issues
- Structuring business combinations by tender offer, amalgamation or court-ordered scheme of arrangement
Our lawyers undertake the formation of limited and general partnerships, advising on:
- The preparation and negotiation of partnership documentation
- Administration requirements
Appleby Platinum sponsor of the Fund Finance Association Global Leadership Summit
Appleby is proud to be a Platinum Sponsor of the Fund Finance Association Global Leadership Summit w...
Appleby welcomes back Eason Huang to further strengthen its Investment Funds practice in Asia
This appointment is the third high profile partner hire into the team in the past two years.
Appleby announces UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man partnership
Appleby are delighted to announce that they are now a UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man partner.
Appleby Bermuda advise Arbol on the launch of its collateralized insurer, Arbol Re Ltd.
Appleby advised Arbol, a technology-led underwriter of parametric risk transfer, climate and weather...
Appleby have acted as Isle of Man legal adviser to LXi REIT plc on its recent £773 million debt refinancing
LXi REIT plc is a UK based specialist inflation-protected long income real estate investment trust l...
Appleby advises Black Spade Acquisition Co on its proposed merger with VinFast
This will be the largest US listing by a company from Vietnam.
New and updated CIMA published rules and statements of guidance
On 14 April 2023, a number of new and updated rules and statements of guidance (SOGs) were published...
Hong Kong Partner Vincent Chan continues to be named in the Asian Legal Business Offshore Client Choice List 2023
Vincent has been named for the fourth consecutive year.
The 2023 Cayman Islands Real Estate Guide
The Real Estate 2023 guide provides the latest legal information on the impact of disruptive technol...
Appleby leads on Suntera Global's expansion in Guernsey
Appleby’s cross-border M&A team has acted as lead counsel to Suntera Global in its acquisition of ...