Representative work* includes:
- Acting for a UK investment bank in respect of English court proceedings concerning a £100 million fraudulent conspiracy claim regarding an alleged failure to disclose material litigation in an offering document;
- Advising, in conjunction with BVI Counsel, an Asian investor in respect of a US$250 million unfair prejudice shareholder dispute in respect of BVI court proceedings.
- Advising, in conjunction with BVI Counsel, the shareholders of an oil trading company in respect of BVI court proceedings including a worldwide freezing injunction and appointment of a receiver concerning fraudulent conspiracy claim arising out of the collapse of Yukos oil and related proceedings in the UK, Switzerland and Singapore;
- Advising an investment manager and its directors in respect of claims raised following the US$6 billion insolvency of a SIV style Cayman based fund;
- Advising in conjunction with Cayman counsel, a Hong Kong listed company and its directors in respect of an HKSE investigation regarding an alleged breach of listing rules.
- Acting for a European bank in respect of English and Italian court proceedings concerning a £80 million mis‐selling and capacity claims regarding interest rate swaps entered into by Italian municipalities;
- Advising a global bank in respect of a multi‐jurisdiction money laundering investigation and related interactions with its regulator;
- Advising the asset management division of a global bank in respect of English court proceedings concerning a breach of mandate claim;
- Acting for one of the world’s largest beverage companies in an LCIA arbitration concerning a £750 million completion accounts dispute.
*experience prior to joining Appleby
David is listed as a ‘Key Lawyer’ in Legal 500 2023 with Clients saying ‘We have worked extensively with David Lee and he is an outstanding lawyer and excellent team player.’ ‘He is tactically very switched on and particularly forensic orientated.’ In 2022 he was praised by them as a ‘Strategic thinker who works hard to deliver effective solutions, very bright with nobody better at managing complex disputes…’ and ‘Quick to identify the key aspects of a disputes, providing several potential solutions.’ In the 2021 edition David was described as ‘Knowing his way around the Cayman courts as well as anyone.’
Qualifications & Education
- University of Bristol