David Lee is a partner and member of the Cayman Dispute Resolution department.
David is a general commercial litigator who specialises in disputes involving banks and funds. He has particular experience in cross-border disputes involving complex financial products as well as disputes arising out of fund insolvencies.
He joined Appleby from Norton Rose Fulbright where he was, at various times, a partner in their London, Hong Kong and Dubai offices. David also spent time on secondment with three global banks.
David has wide experience acting for clients in cases before the courts of England and Wales and Hong Kong, as well as representing clients in FCA, SFO, HKMA, HKSE and ICAC investigations and investigations conducted by other agencies internationally.
He has been recommended by Legal 500.
*Representative work includes:
- Acting for a UK investment bank in respect of English court proceedings concerning a £100 million fraudulent conspiracy claim regarding an alleged failure to disclose material litigation in an offering document;
- Advising, in conjunction with BVI Counsel, an Asian investor in respect of a US$250 million unfair prejudice shareholder dispute in respect of BVI court proceedings.
- Advising, in conjunction with BVI Counsel, the shareholders of an oil trading company in respect of BVI court proceedings including a worldwide freezing injunction and appointment of a receiver concerning fraudulent conspiracy claim arising out of the collapse of Yukos oil and related proceedings in the UK, Switzerland and Singapore;
- Advising an investment manager and its directors in respect of claims raised following the US$6 billion insolvency of a SIV style Cayman based fund;
- Advising in conjunction with Cayman counsel, a Hong Kong listed company and its directors in respect of an HKSE investigation regarding an alleged breach of listing rules.
- Acting for a European bank in respect of English and Italian court proceedings concerning a £80 million mis‐selling and capacity claims regarding interest rate swaps entered into by Italian municipalities;
- Advising a global bank in respect of a multi‐jurisdiction money laundering investigation and related interactions with its regulator;
- Advising the asset management division of a global bank in respect of English court proceedings concerning a breach of mandate claim;
- Acting for one of the world’s largest beverage companies in an LCIA arbitration concerning a £750 million completion accounts dispute.
*experience prior to joining Appleby
- University of Bristol