Shana Simmonds is a Partner within the Corporate Practice Group in the British Virgin Islands. Her practice areas include Banking and Finance, Private Client and Intellectual Property. Shana has extensive corporate law experience advising on a range of finance, general corporate and commercial matters, secured and structured financings, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, restructurings and regulatory matters. Shana is routinely instructed by international and domestic financial institutions, private companies, securities providers and leading onshore law firms.
Shana advises local and foreign institutional and private clients on a wide variety of commercial and real property matters. Shana also advises on estate planning and succession matters including applications for grants of representation. Shana routinely represents clients in all aspects of trademark, patent, and other intellectual property registration and administration.
Prior to joining Appleby, Shana worked at other well established firms in the British Virgin Islands. Shana has been rated as a ‘rising star’ in IFLR1000 from 2017 – 2020.
Examples of Shana’s experience include:
- Acting for Elemental Royalties Limited in connection with a business combination resulting in the reverse takeover of Fengro Industries Corp by Elemental Royalties Limited.
- Advising a BVI subsidiary of Heirsholding Oil and Gas Limited (previously called TNOG Oil and Gas Limited), on the multi-tranche US$1.1 billion financing for the acquisition and working capital requirements for acquisition of a 45% participating interest in Nigerian oil mining lease (OML) 17.
- Advising Deutsche Bank and Wells Fargo (each acting as Administrative Agents respectively) and their affiliates in relation to a refinancing of Weatherford International plc’s senior secured asset-based lending agreement and senior secured letter of credit agreement.
- Advising a US infrastructure investment firm in relation to a bid for the acquisition of a multinational developer, owner and operator of water production and waste water treatment plants and businesses.
- Acting for JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in connection with the extension of and other amendments to a multi-million term loan facility and a revolving credit facility guaranteed by subsidiaries incorporated in Australia, Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, Canada, England, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Panama and United States.
- Acting for Corporación Interamericana para el financiamiento de Infraestructura in connection with a secured loan facility to a BVI company as borrower and several subsidiaries in Belize, Nevis and the Bahamas.
- Advising a BVI company in relation to the sale and purchase of shares in a major hotel chain in London.
- Acting for Citibank Europe PLC, UK Branch in relation to US$1.85 billion reorganization/refinancing involving subsidiaries incorporated in the BVI, Canada, Dubai International Finance Centre, France, India, Jersey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the United States of America.
- Advising a BVI company in connection with the issuance of mobile-only mined and maintained cryptographic tokens.
- LLB (Hons) in Law, University of Lincoln
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Cardiff University