Daniel is a Senior Associate within the Corporate department in Jersey. Daniel is a corporate and finance specialist advising on a wide range of high-value international transactions. He has significant experience in advising both lenders and corporate borrowers on fund finance, real estate finance and acquisition finance transactions. He is also well versed on Sharia compliant financings.
He also acts on a variety of public and private cross border mergers and acquisitions, with a particular focus on real estate acquisitions and insurance business transfers.
Prior to joining Appleby in June 2017, he spent three years in the real estate finance team at a well respected firm in London. During this time he undertook a secondment to the debt investments and special situations team at an alternate debt investment firm. Prior to this, he worked in the banking and finance team at a large national law firm in New Zealand.
Recent highlights include:
- Advising a leading UK Bank in relation to a circa GBP 181 million term loan to subsidiaries of a large US real estate asset and portfolio manager, to finance the acquisition costs of a portfolio of over 320 properties throughout the UK
- Advising AXA SA on its European cross border merger and internal restructuring which necessitated the need for a Jersey court sanctioned scheme to transfer the relevant Jersey insurance business
- Advising the Issa brothers and TDR Capital on the acquisition financing aspects of their £6.8 billion acquisition of ASDA from Walmart
- Advising a longstanding PE client on the acquisition financing aspects of its take private of a FTSE 350 company
- Advising a major US financial institution on an over GBP 800 million facility arranged by it to enable the development of a central London site
- Advising a major European bank on an up to GBP 400 million subscription facility made available to a leading European debt investment fund
- Advising syncreon on the Jersey elements of its USD 1.1 billion recapitalisation
- Acting for ADVANZ PHARMA, a global pharmaceutical company, on its recapitalisation transaction which reduced its debt by circa USD 2 billion
- Advising OakNorth Bank plc on numerous financing transactions, including acting as lead counsel on their first Jersey law financing
- Advising the banks and first lien noteholders on Aston Martin’s included GBP 840 million equivalent of notes and a refinanced revolving credit facility of GBP 87 million
- Regularly advising lenders on subscription facilities, GP liquidity facilities and NAV facilities to funds and fund managers
- Regularly advising lenders on various investment, development, senior and mezzanine real estate finance facilities
- Admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- BA and LLB (Hons) from the University of Canterbury (New Zealand)
- Institute of Professional Legal Studies (New Zealand)