Sally Penrose is a partner and a member of the Corporate department in Appleby’s Bermuda office. Sally specialises in the structuring, management and operation of investment funds, including hedge funds, private equity vehicles, partnerships, closed ended funds and master and feeder structures.
Sally also has wide corporate experience acting for corporates and management teams on multi-jurisdictional mergers, joint ventures and acquisitions.
Sally is a member of Appleby’s global Technology & Innovation team, providing comprehensive advice in connection with all aspects of initial coin offerings and the carrying on of digital asset business.
Sally is recognised by Legal 500 Caribbean as a ‘Next Generation Lawyer’ in the tier 1 Corporate and Commercial catergory and recommended in the Banking, Finance and Capital Markets category. She is also recognised in IFLR1000 in the Financial and Corporate category as a ‘Rising Star’ and in Bermuda:Re+ILS as a ‘Rising Star’, which features highly regarded professionals in Bermuda under the age of 35.
Prior to arriving in Bermuda, her experience included working as a senior associate at DLA Piper UK LLP.
- Bermuda funds in a Digital Age – Hedgeweek – March 2019
- Important Changes to Bermuda´s Regulation of Investment Funds – HFM Week – March 2019
- Fund Finance 2019 – Global Legal Group – February 2019
- The Asset Management Review – The Law Reviews – October 2018
- An ever-shifting landscape – Bermuda Finance 2018, Asset Management Roundtable – September 2018
- Guide to Private Equity in Bermuda – International Comparative Legal Guide – 2018
- Introducing the Bermuda LLC – Global Fund Media Special Report – March 2017
- Fund Finance: Bermuda Chapter – Global Legal Insights – February 2017
- Leading the way on ILS – Bermuda, Sailing to Success – December 2016
- Private Equity 2016 Virtual Round Table – Corporate LiveWire – October 2016
- Asset Management Review 5th Edition: Bermuda – The Asset Management Review – September 2016
- Asset Management Review 4th Edition: Bermuda – The Asset Management Review – October 2015
Key recent transactions include:
- Validus Holdings Ltd, advised Validus on its $5.6 billion acquisition by American International Group, Inc. Appleby demonstrated the strength and depth of its corporate team on this transaction with a combination of specialist M&A and regulatory lawyers forming the deal team.
- Orion Mine Finance, advised Orion Mine Finance and Fusion Capital on the sale of Lynx Resources, the owner of the SASA zinc, lead and silver mine in the Republic of Macedonia, for USD 402.5m to Central Asia Metals (“CAML”).
- Triton Container International Limited, advised on TCIL’s merger with TAL International Group, Inc., a NYSE-listed, US company (TAL). The transaction will create the world’s largest lessor of intermodal freight containers with revenue generating assets of $8.7 billion
- L. F. Wade International Airport – The Financial Investors, advised on the Bermuda law relating to the financing of the redevelopment of the L. F. Wade International Airport in Bermuda (Redevelopment) pursuant to which the clients subscribed for USD 285 million of fixed coupon notes.
- Virgin Group Investments Ltd., advised the investment arm of billionaire Richard Branson’s family, in connection with new cruise industry venture by designing and constructing two new world class cruise ships. The lead co-investor in the deal was Bain Capital, one of the world’s leading private equity firms.
- China Minsheng Investment Co. Ltd., advised in the acquisition of the entire issued share of capital of Sirius International Insurance Group, Ltd. The transaction was one of the largest private acquisitions in the Bermuda reinsurance space.
- KeyTech Limited, advising in connection with a multi-layered transaction that included the acquisition of the remainder of Bermuda Digital Communications Ltd. (CellOne) and the acquisition by Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., of a controlling interest in Keytech.
- Triton Container International Limited, advised in relation to its merger with TAL International Group, Inc., a NYSE-listed, US company. The transaction creates the world’s largest lessor of intermodal freight containers with revenue generating assets valued at $8.7 billion.
- Advised a world’s leading mining focused private equity group on their $300m+ investment
- Advised on the structuring, formation and launch of a $2bn+ investment fund
- Co-authored the Bermuda chapter of the Asset Management Review 2015
University College London (England)
College of Law (London, England)