Miriam Smyth is a member of the corporate department in Appleby’s Cayman Islands office.
Miriam’s practice is in the area of financial service regulation, advising banks, insurers, investment firms, alternative lenders and fintech firms on a wide range of regulatory issues including, license applications, regulatory change of control applications, the AML-CFT compliance regime and advising on regulatory developments impacting clients businesses.
Miriam is admitted as a solicitor with the Law Society of Ireland (non-practising) and with the Law Society of England and Wales (non-practising).
Prior to joining Appleby, Miriam was a senior associate in the Financial Services Regulatory Group at McCann FitzGerald’s Dublin office. Prior to joining McCann FitzGerald, Miriam worked in the enforcement division of the Central Bank of Ireland.
(Prior to joining Appleby)
- Advisory work: advised various clients on conduct of business requirements, AML-CFT regime, corporate governance requirements, consumer protection requirements and the director pre-approval process.
- Authorisations: assisted entities establish new regulated businesses and supported with their licence applications.
- Financial regulator engagement: assisted clients prepare for on-site inspections and to prepare responses to the Central Bank of Ireland, other European based financial regulators and US based financial regulators.
- Insurance & Reinsurance: advised various insurers/reinsurers on a wide range of regulatory and compliance issues including insurance mediation, consumer protection, corporate governance requirements and preparing for regulatory inspections.
- University College Dublin
- University College Cork
- Law Society of Ireland
- Member of the Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
- Member of the regulatory committee of the Cayman International Reinsurance Companies Association