Miriam Smyth is a member of the corporate department in Appleby’s Cayman Islands office.*
Miriam practices in the area of financial service regulation, advising banks, insurers, investment firms, alternative lenders and fintech firms on a wide range of regulatory issues including, license applications for authorisation, advising on establishing newly regulated businesses, regulatory change of control notifications, advising on the AML-CFT compliance framework and keeping clients updated on key regulatory changes impacting their businesses.
She has significant experience engaging with financial regulators and responding to regulator requests for information and has worked on several risk mitigation programmes and regulatory remediation programmes.
Miriam is admitted as a solicitor with the Law Society of Ireland (non-practicing) and with the Law Society of England and Wales (non-practicing).
Prior to joining Appleby, Miriam was a senior associate in the Financial Services Regulatory Group at McCann FitzGerald, Dublin. Miriam also previously worked in the regulatory investigations/enforcement division of the Irish financial regulator (i.e., Central Bank of Ireland).
*Has not been admitted to the Cayman Islands Bar.
(Prior to joining Appleby)
- Financial Regulation: Advised various clients on conduct of business requirements, the AML-CFT framework, corporate governance requirements, consumer protection requirements and the fitness and probity regime.
- Licence applications: Advised entities establish new regulated businesses and supporting clients with their licence applications.
- Contentious Regulatory Investigations: Worked as a regulatory investigations lawyer with the Irish financial regulator conducting examinations and imposing administrative sanctions against regulated entities for breaches of the AML-CFT regime, the Market Abuse Regime and securities investment business (e.g., MiFID).
- Insurance & Reinsurance: Advised various insurers/reinsurers on a wide range of regulatory and compliance issues including insurance mediation and consumer law, court approved transfer of business schemes, reviewed and advised on reinsurance arrangements, advised on corporate governance requirements, regulatory engagement and prepared for regulatory inspections.
- University College Dublin
- University College Cork
- Law Society of Ireland