Menelik Miller is Counsel in the Corporate Department, sitting within the Regulatory and Compliance group in the Cayman Islands office.
Menelik practices in the area of financial services regulation; advising all regulated entities and persons, including banks, insurers, investment firms, fiduciaries, alternative lenders and fintech firms on a wide range of regulatory issues including, license applications, registrations, authorisations, notifications and regulatory filings. In addition, Menelik also advises on establishing newly regulated businesses, prudential regulatory considerations, corporate governance and strategic approaches and has significant experience of regulatory inspections and other contentious or potentially contentious regulatory enforcement matters.
Menelik has more than ten years of experience working with or for financial service regulators in the UK, Jersey, BVI and the Cayman Islands and possesses substantial experience regarding international financial services regulation and the internal operations of regulators.
Prior to joining Appleby, Menelik was legal counsel at the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority for five years and also previously practised at the Bar from Mitre House Chambers in London for eight years before working offshore.
Menelik was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2001 (now non-practicing) and is admitted as an attorney in both the BVI (2012) and the Cayman Islands (2016).
EXPERTISE: (Prior to joining Appleby)
- Financial Regulation: Advised on AML-CFT framework, new regulatory legislation and procedures, corporate governance requirements and the fitness and propriety regime.
- Licence applications: Advised on licence and registration applications, notifications and filings to the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority (CIMA).
- Contentious Regulatory Matters & Regulatory Investigations: Advised and represented CIMA in their contentious and litigious regulatory matters.
- Drafted the procedures for CIMA’s administrative fines regime and regulatory investigations.
- Insurance: Advised on a wide range of regulatory and compliance issues impacting insurers, reinsurers and insurance managers.
- Funds: Advised on a wide range of regulatory and compliance issues impacting funds, investment managers and fund administrators.
- Virtual Asset Service Providers: Advised on the drafting of the VASP Act and the subsequent CIMA policies regarding virtual asset providers.
- London School of Economics, BA.
- University of London, LLM.
- Inns of Court School of Law – City University (England), BVC.
- · STEP
- · Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
- · Middle Temple