David Lewis-Hall is a senior associate in Appleby’s Cayman Islands office and a member of the Dispute Resolution department. David has broad civil and commercial experience, with particular experience of corporate disputes, insolvency litigation and property disputes.
David is recommended in the Legal 500 Caribbean edition (2021) for Dispute Resolution: “David Lewis-Hall is very bright, knowledgeable in a number of areas of law, a team player and enjoyable to work with”.
Before moving to the Cayman Islands, David practised at the Bar of England and Wales at a leading set of Chambers. Appearing in Court on a regular basis throughout his career, David has extensive advocacy experience of all stages of the litigation process, including substantial trial advocacy.
David has excellent client care skills, with his friendly but no-nonsense approach at the Bar in England being commended by both instructing solicitors and lay clients. David prides himself on helping clients to find practical commercial solutions to their legal disputes.
David was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2010 (now non-practising), and was called to the Bar of the Cayman Islands in 2019.
Recent cases include:
- Advising and representing the majority shareholder in a multi-million dollar Cayman company in respect of winding up proceedings, a creditor’s substitution application and an application by a minority shareholder to appoint Joint Provisional Liquidators.*
- Advising and representing the majority shareholder in a multi-million dollar Cayman company in a contested claim for declaratory relief relating to the current and historic make-up of the Company’s Board of Directors and the identity of its corporate officers.*
- Advising a shareholder in conjunction with a US Attorney in relation to the drafting of a litigation funding agreement to fund fair value proceedings under section 238 of the Companies Act.*
- Advising and representing a high net worth family and Cayman companies held in a trust structure in respect of bankruptcy proceedings including preference / avoidance claims, a worldwide freezing injunction and related proceedings in multiple jurisdictions including Canada, the Cook Islands, Nevis and Singapore.*
- Advising a major creditor in the liquidation of a Cayman online discount broker in relation to proprietary claims.*
- Advising a Cayman company in relation to a potential breach of the Data Protection Act by an employee and representing the company in discussions with the Ombudsman.*
- Advising a major Cayman company in relation to a contentious trademarks dispute including applications for declarations of invalidity before the CIIPO Registrar.*
- Successfully representing the administrator of an estate at trial in a claim to recover for the estate a seven figure sum, the transfer of which was found to have been procured by undue influence.**Experience prior to joining Appleby
- · STEP Certificate in International Trust Management
- · Bar Vocational Course, BPP University, London
- · Jurisprudence MA (Oxon) – Brasenose College, University of Oxford
- · STEP Affiliate Member
- · Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association (Cayman)
- · INSOL International
- · Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
- · Honorary Member of Grays Inn
- · Member of the Inner Temple