Recent / highlight experience includes:
- Acting for the petitioning shareholder in highly complex and heavily contested just and equitable winding up petitions in relation to three related Cayman investment funds, successfully obtaining orders for the appointment of provisional liquidators, then winding up orders and substantial costs orders (Re Principal Investing Fund I Limited, Long View II Limited, and Global Fixed Income Fund I Limited FSD, Kawaley J)
- Acting for an ultra-high net worth individual in proceedings which involved the successful appointment of receivers over shares in three Cayman investment funds to enable the bringing of just and equitable winding up proceedings (Wang v Credit Suisse London Nominees Limited (FSD, Doyle J)
- Advising and representing the Liquidation Committee of (In Official Liquidation), including appearing as sole counsel in a contested fee sanction application and at a complex directions hearing against leading counsel (Re Direct Lending Income Feeder Fund FSD, Parker J).
- Acting for a bondholder in complex contested winding up proceedings involving issues relating to whether there was a bona fide substantial dispute as to the validity of the debt upon which the petition was based (Re Green Dragon Gas FSD, McMillan J)
- Advising and representing the majority shareholder in a multi-million dollar Cayman company in respect of winding up proceedings, a creditor’s substitution application and an application by a minority shareholder to appoint Joint Provisional Liquidators.*
- Advising and representing the majority shareholder in a multi-million dollar Cayman company in a contested claim for declaratory relief relating to the current and historic make-up of the Company’s Board of Directors and the identity of its corporate officers.*
- Advising a shareholder, in conjunction with a US Attorney, in relation to the drafting of a litigation funding agreement to fund fair value proceedings under section 238 of the Companies Act.*
- Advising and representing a high net worth family and Cayman companies held in a Cayman trust structure in respect of bankruptcy proceedings, including preference / avoidance claims, a worldwide freezing injunction and related proceedings in multiple jurisdictions including Canada, the Cook Islands, Nevis and Singapore.*
- Advising a major creditor in the liquidation of a Cayman online discount broker in relation to proprietary claims.*
- Advising a Cayman company in relation to a potential breach of the Data Protection Act by an employee and representing the company in discussions with the Ombudsman.*
- Advising a major Cayman company in relation to a contentious trademarks dispute including applications for declarations of invalidity before the CIIPO Registrar.*
- Successfully representing the administrator of an estate at trial in a claim to recover for the estate a seven figure sum, the transfer of which was found to have been procured by undue influence.*
*Experience prior to joining Appleby
David is recommended in the Legal 500 2023 as a Key Lawyer in the Appleby Dispute Resolution Team. His testimonials note that:
- David is an “…outstanding lawyer”, “excellent team player” and “always good humoured”;
- David “…brings a practical and thoughtful approach to managing the relationships between diverse parties”;
- David is a “standout member of the team”.
David was recommended in the Legal 500 2022 for Dispute Resolution, being noted as a Key Lawyer at his previous firm, being described as “Very bright, knowledgeable in a number of areas of law, a team player and enjoyable to work with”.
David received a STEP Excellence Award for passing the STEP Certificate in International Trust Management with one of the highest scores worldwide.
Qualifications & Education
David was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2010 (now non-practising), and was called to the Bar of the Cayman Islands in 2019.
- STEP Certificate in International Trust Management
- Bar Vocational Course, BPP University, London
- Jurisprudence MA (Oxon) – Brasenose College, University of Oxford
Memberships & Associations
- Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association (Cayman)
- INSOL International
- STEP Affiliate Member
- Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
- Honorary Member of Grays Inn
- Member of the Inner Temple