Notable transactions include:
- Acting as Guernsey counsel to HSBC Private Bank (Suisse) SA in connection with its acquisition of HSBC’s private banking business in Guernsey.
- Acting for Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets Plc acting as agent for a syndicate of 3 banks in the accession of various sub-funds to, and amendments to, existing subscription facilities of up to EUR 4,000,000,000 currently made available to a major Guernsey fund.
- Acting as lead counsel to The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited in respect of various investor backed loan facilities made available to Lakestar funds.
- Acting as Alderney counsel to a syndicate of lenders (including Deutsche Bank AG New York Branch, Lloyds Bank plc, NatWest, Barclays Bank PLC, JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. and Santander) in connection with the amendment and restatement, including a facility increase, of a £1.5 billion facility and a USD 2 billion facility.
- Acting as Guernsey counsel to the States of Guernsey in putting in place with Lloyds Bank plc a bilateral £100,000,000 facility to replace the States’ existing £250,000,000 syndicated facility.
- Acting regularly for Investec Bank plc in connection with funds finance and property finance transactions. He has acted on 16 transactions during 2022.
- Acting regularly (in excess of 15 transactions during 2022) for the private bank division of HSBC Guernsey in lending to high net worth individuals and their structures.
Jeremy was named as a ‘Leading Individual’ in The Legal 500 UK 2024. Jeremy is praised for being “always available, responsive and second to none in terms of knowledge” and “always willing to talk through a situation and suggest alternative approaches and resolutions, often with tight timelines involved”. The top tier ranked banking team have “tremendous deal experience, providing strong commercial advice”. They provide “quality legal advice delivered without fuss but with lots of common sense and understanding of our goals”. Legal 500 go on to say the “firm really goes the extra mile in terms of assisting with urgent complex transactions”.
Chambers UK 2024 recognise Jeremy for being a ‘Notable Practitioner’. Clients say that “he’s a real leader and standout commercial lawyer” and that he “is responsive and achieves results in what are often tight deadlines. He is prepared to think outside of the box to achieve a solution which is acceptable to all parties while still ensuring that we remain fully protected.” The team are commended for having “excellent technical and commercial knowledge” and described as “responsive and professional and display a collaborative and commercial approach to their work.”
IFLR1000 named Jeremy as ´Highly Regarded´ in the 2023 edition for his Corporate and M&A work. Clients told IFLR1000 that “Appleby combines market-leading knowledge with a partner-led service and an extremely commercial and pragmatic approach. They understand and always deliver at the levels of service City firms expect.” In addition that “Jeremy is excellent – he is responsive, knowledgeable and extremely user-friendly” and he “is an outstanding lawyer technically but balances that with being an incredibly commercial and solution-focussed lawyer.”
Qualifications & Education
- University College, Durham (England)
- BBP Law School, London (England)
JEREMY’S ADVICE AND KNOWLEDGE OF GUERNSEY STRUCTURES AND FINANCING ISSUES ARE VERY IMPRESSIVE.