Vincent Chan is Partner in the Corporate department of Appleby´s Hong Kong office. He has nearly 15 years of offshore law experience specialising in IPO/equity and debt capital markets, public & private mergers & acquisitions, privatizations and private equity. Clients include Bermuda, British Virgin Islands (BVI) and Cayman Islands companies listed on stock exchanges in Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, New York, NASDAQ and London, as well as private companies, banks, financial institutions and asset management firms.
Vincent has also been a full member of The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (TEP) since 2013, and is currently on the STEP HK branch executive committee. He assists clients in setting up family, employee benefit and commercial/orphan trusts, providing relevant advice to listed and start-up companies, high net worth individuals, family offices and trustees.
Vincent has been selected as one of the region’s 10 most notable offshore lawyers in the Asian Legal Business’ Offshore Client Choice List in 2020-22, and was ranked in the 2019 Asian Legal Business’ “top 40 under 40” list which highlights “outstanding legal professionals in the region”. He has been widely recognised by legal directories, with IFLR 1000 2019-22 noting him as a “Notable Practitioner” and with Legal 500 (Asia Pacific) noting him as “very impressive” and a “key equity capital markets practitioner” who also “handles a significant amount of M&A mandates”, with “ability to provide timely and practical Cayman law advice”.
Vincent graduated from The University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) (Actuarial Studies) and a Bachelor of Laws, and has obtained a Master of Laws (Legal Practice) (Merit) from The Australian National University, as well as a Diploma in International Trust Management (Distinction), an Advanced Certificate in Family Business Advising (Distinction), an Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes and an Advanced Certificate in UK Tax for International Clients from The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
He is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Recent Mergers & Acquisitions experience includes:
- China Post’s approximately USD128 million investment in Ule Holdings Limited though China Post’s subsidiary Telpo Philatelic Company Limited.
- GIC’s joint USD1 billion investment in Envision Energy International, one of the world’s largest net-zero investments.
- Allied Gold Corp’s USD80 million acquisition of 85% interest of Endeavour Mining’s non-core Agbaou Mine in Cote d’lvoire through acquisition of shares of ENDEAVOUR RESOURCES INC.
- TECNON (FUJIAN) COMMERCIAL LIGHTING CO., LTD.’s approximate RMB758 million acquisition of Quanxinke Electronics Technology, Upkeen Global Investments Limited and Fast Achieve Ventures Limited, which jointly hold all equity interest of Upstar Technology and SCE.
- A conglomerate’s HKD1.5 billion acquisition of a high-end Hong Kong supermarket chain in Hong Kong.
- China Baofeng (International) Limited’s privatisation by way of a scheme of arrangement under section 86 of the Cayman Companies Law, for cash consideration of HKD540 million.
- Global Logistic Properties Limited’s establishment of a strategic investment partnership with China Merchants Group by acquiring a 50 percent stake in its private equity investment vehicle, China Merchants Capital, to co-manage assets that worth RMB270 billion.
- A global real assets fund manager’s RMB 2.56 billion disposal of Beijing Jingtong Roosevelt Plaza to Link Asset Management Limited, the manager of Hong Kong’s Link Real Estate Investment Trust.
- CVC Capital Partners’ HKD2 billion subscription of 25% stake of RKE International Holdings Limited, a leading toll road operator in China holding a portfolio of five expressways spanning 340km.
- Rajax Holding (food delivery business operating under the “ele.me” brand)’s reverse triangular merger with Xiaodu Life Technology Ltd, a majority-owned subsidiary of Baidu Inc., with USD280 million cash and equity consideration, and subsequent transfer of all its shares (with valuation of USD9.5 billion)to Ali Panini Group Holdings Limited, an affiliate of Alibaba Group Holdings Limited, by way of Approved Sale. This transaction won the ALB China Awards – M&A Deal of the Year (Premium).
Recent Capital Markets experience includes:
- Global offering and listing of China Graphite Group Limited, a graphite concentrate and spherical graphite producer in China, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD89.9 million.
- Global offering and listing of Mega Genomics Limited, a leading genetic testing platform company in China with a focus on consumer genetic testing and cancer screening services, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD190.1 million.
- Listing of Shenzhen YHLO Biotech Co., Ltd., a leading company of immunoassay solutions in China, on the STAR Market of the Shanghai Stock Exchange with proceeds of approximately RMB 606.8 million.
- Global offering and listing of Cheshi Holdings Limited, an online automobile new media platform in China, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD113.9 million.
- Listing of Haina Intelligent Equipment International Holdings Limited, a manufacturer engaging in the design and production of automated machines for manufacturing disposable hygiene products, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD96.9 million.
- Global offering and listing of China Tianbao Group Development Company Limited, the largest private construction company in Zhuozhou, Hebei Province, in terms of construction contracting revenue, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD456.1 million.
- Issuance and registration by China Everbright Greentech Limited, a professional environmental protection service provider, in the National Association of Financial Market Institutional Investors (中国银行间市场交易商协会) of up to five year term Medium-term Notes with a total registered issue size of up to RMB3.5 billion.
- Global offering and listing of Shenwan Hongyuan Group Co., Ltd., a leading investment holding group focused on securities businesses in China, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD9.24 billion.
- Global offering and listing of Shandong Gold Mining Co., Ltd., is the largest among the gold producers listed in the PRC and/or Hong Kong that operate in China, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD5.2 billion.
Recent Private Equity experience includes:
- A software developer’s USD2.1 million series SAFE equity investment by a series of institutional investors and USD3 million series Seed equity investment by the investment vehicle of a world leader in digital entertainment and gamification.
- A world’s leading total sourcing management solution provider’s USD10 million series A strategic investment by one of Asia’s largest private alternative investment firms.
- ZOLA ELECTRIC LTD, a leading power and energy group, on its USD90 million fund raising.
- ABM Group’s issuance of preferred shares to Asia Chrono Enterprises (S) Pte. Ltd. and Apex Loyal Limited.
- QTC Care Corporation Ltd.’s USD5 million series A financing with the investment led by Tencent, and followed by several other top investors in China.
- USD30.6 million allotment by a Silicon Valley based frontrunner in autonomous driving technology company of series A-3 preferred shares and issuance of warrant to a Chinese transportation company and other investors.
- The Carlyle Group’s subscription of series C preference shares issued by Ant International Co., Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ant Small and Micro Financial Services Group Co., Ltd., as part of its USD14 billion equity financing. This transaction won the Asia Legal Awards – Private Equity Deal of the Year and China Business Law Journal – Deal of the Year.
- The Australian National University (Australia)
- The University of Melbourne (Australia)
“Very impressive key equity capital markets practitioner [who] also handles a significant amount of M&A mandates [, with] ability to provide timely and practical Cayman law advice.”