Claire Corkish is Counsel and an experienced litigator within the Dispute Resolution department. She has extensive experience in a broad range of commercial litigation matters. In particular, she advises on injunctive relief, search and disclosure orders, cross border mutual legal assistance actions (including anti-suit injunctions), jurisdictional issues, fund disputes and insolvency matters. Claire also advises and appears on behalf of clients in high profile take over and transfer schemes.
Since qualifying in November 2009 Claire has appeared before the Isle of Man High Court (at first instance and appellate levels) on a variety of contentious litigation matters. Claire also has significant experience in representing clients at mediation and joint settlement meetings.
She completed a six month secondment from the Isle of Man to Hong Kong with Appleby in 2014.
Claire studied at Nottingham University and was admitted as an Advocate of the Manx Bar on 27 November 2009. Claire was the Chairperson of the Isle of Man Young Lawyers Association from 2012 to 2014.
Claire is ranked a ‘Next Generation’ lawyer in Legal 500 UK 2019 and ‘Up and Coming’ in Chambers UK 2019, in Dispute Resolution. Sources describe Claire as “very hard-working, smart and energetic”.
Claire’s recent experience includes:
- Provided assistance in the high profile case before the Privy Council involving the successful strike out of multimillion pound proceedings brought against RBSI in which the claimants sought to extend the fiduciary duties owing by banks to non-customers.
- Sought and obtained disclosure orders both pre-action and post.
- Acted on behalf of companies incorporated in the Isle of Man and BVI in respect of aspects of ongoing high profile worldwide proceedings seeking to recover £77 million transferred from group companies in alleged breach of directors’ duties, including the successful opposition to jurisdictional challenges mounted on multiple grounds by the defendants to claims for breach of directors duty and knowing receipt against former directors to BVI and Isle of Man companies and defending proceedings seeking declaratory relief in respect of a trust purportedly declared over all of one of the defendant’s assets.
- Successfully defended anti-suit injunction in a dispute involving an alleged coup by which the defendants had sought to strip an IOM company of its valuable Bermudan subsidiary and later, an injunction by which the same defendants sought to injunct a meeting of the same IOM company.
- Acts on behalf of Claimants to multimillion pound proceedings in respect of claims involving breach of contract and agency and/or fiduciary duties in relation to a claim involving aviation companies and in respect of a claim for breach of contract and misrepresentation in respect of the provision to suppliers of PPE to (amongst others) the Austrian Government.
- Appeared on behalf purchasers and sellers in takeovers of large listed companies effected by way of a court sanctioned scheme of arrangement.
- Acted on behalf of banks and insurance companies in court sanctioned transfer schemes.
- Obtaining a US$58 million freezing injunction on behalf of a US client
- Successfully opposing the Isle of Man’s first application seeking that evidence in a civil litigation claim be given concurrently
- Assisting in the successful opposition of Isle of Man’s first application seeking to vary the discount rate applicable to personal injury claims
- Acting on behalf of an American Trustee in Bankruptcy in defending an application for insolvency of Isle of Man entities subject to US Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, involving jurisdictional arguments
- Assisting a Cayman fund in seeking to recover circa £9 million of misappropriated investors’ funds
Whilst in Hong Kong, Claire assisted a number of Chinese and Korean clients in relation to corporate disputes involving BVI and Cayman incorporated entities.
University of Nottingham (England)
“Very hard-working, smart and energetic.”