Andrew Weaver is a partner within the Corporate department in Jersey. He specialises in real estate, hedge and private equity funds, regulatory advice and corporate work in matters of Jersey and Cayman Islands law. He advises leading fund managers, advisers and financial institutions and service providers in the UK, Europe, the USA, the Middle East and Asia.
Andrew has substantial experience in public equity offerings, M&A and corporate structuring and an in-depth knowledge of partnerships and unit trusts. He worked for several years in the Appleby Cayman Islands office and before that for six years at a leading firm in the City of London.
Most recently Andrew was recognised as a partner who is at the pinnacle of the profession, having been added to the Legal 500 UK Hall of Fame, an elite list of lawyers who have received constant praise by their clients for continued excellence. Legal 500 UK 2018 have also credited his “commercial and practical approach to service with focus, efficiency and cost-effectiveness” and noted that he “is not afraid to stand firm when needed”. Andrew has previously been recognised by Legal 500 UK as being “something of an oracle when it comes to Jersey law” and a “true heavyweight who is also a pleasure to deal with”. The same directory also recognised him as “personable and pragmatic”.
Chambers UK 2018 noted Andrew for his experienced handling of real estate funds, with sources reporting that he is “very responsive, commercial and client-focused.” Chambers UK 2017 named Andrew as a ´Notable Practitioner´, he is praised by respondents for his “comprehensive tax and financing knowledge,” alongside his ability to deliver “practical solutions” for clients. He impresses clients with his ability to “find a practical way forward.” Chambers UK 2016 sources saying “he is easy to work with and inspires confidence.” Andrew was named as ´Leader in his Field´ by Chambers UK 2015 and referred to as “very approachable” and said to have displayed a “willingness to think innovatively to address problems.” Chambers UK 2014 recognised him once again as a ´Notable Practitioner´ and Chambers UK 2013 commented that Andrew “provides very good legal advice and practical assistance on transactions,” while “maintaining a seamless service.” Chambers Global 2012 described him as “sensible and pragmatic.”
IFLR1000 named him as a ´Highly Regarded´ in the 2018 edition.
He is a member of the Jersey Law Society and the Jersey Funds Association and he participates in numerous industry steering groups working with the Jersey Financial Services Commission on the on-going development of the financial services regime in Jersey.
Recent highlights have included advising:
Funds and investment services/regulatory
- Lead counsel to PraxisIFM Group, the international corporate and fiduciary services business, on it 2017 IPO
- Altor Equity Partners AB on the establishment of their first, second and third funds focussed on mid-market buyout deals in Scandinavia
- Tritax Big Box REIT plc, a listed real estate fund, on its launch, listing on the Channel Islands Stock Exchange and various acquisitions
- Stirling Square Capital Partners on the establishment of their second and third funds
- Meinl Bank in connection with the restructuring of Meinl European Land (now Atrium European Real Estate), Meinl International Power (now PI Power International), and Meinl International Airports (now AI Airports International)
- A European venture capital firm on the establishment of a series of technology funds and life sciences funds
- A Swiss secondaries fund adviser on its first and second annual investment programme
- A start up German private equity fund adviser (set up by individuals from several leading European private equity firms) on the establishment of their first fund
- A wide variety of UK and European private equity and venture capital fund advisers on the establishment and launch of private, unregulated and regulated fund structures with a particular emphasis on regulatory and AIFMD matters
- The manager of a US$4 billion hedge fund operation on regulatory, corporate structuring and fund launch matters
- A leading European bank on regulatory matters relating to its investment business
- Phoenix Spree Deutschland on its flotation on the main market of the LSE, and on its pre-float reorganisation
- Tritax Brindleyplace Trustee on the sale of the issued units of Tritax Brindleyplace Unit Trust.
M&A and finance
- Kennedy Wilson Europe Real Estate PLC on its merger with Kennedy Wilson Holdings Inc. to create a USD 4bn global property group
- JP Morgan on the financing of AbbVie Inc.’s US$51 billion bid for Shire Pharmaceuticals
- TRG (The Rohatyn Group) on its acquisition of Citigroup’s emerging market venture capital fund business
- Wells Fargo on its acquisition of a global fund administration business, LaCrosse Global Fund Services, from Cargill
- Tritax Big Box REIT with its group restructuring and with the subsequent £500m refinancing of its existing debt
- Concordia Healthcare Corporation on its $3.5bn acquisition of Amdipharm Mercury.
University of Keele (England)
“[Andrew] is easy to work with and inspires confidence.”