Charles Davies is a partner within the Dispute Resolution department in the Isle of Man. He joined Appleby in October 2007 and became a partner in 2010.
He specialises in complex corporate and commercial disputes. Since joining the firm, Charles has advised and acted for clients in a variety of commercial, corporate and trust disputes. Clients have included regulatory and governmental bodies, insurers and city firms of solicitors.
Charles has been named as a ´Leading Individual´ for Dispute Resolution in the Isle of Man by Legal 500 UK from 2015 to 2018.
Chambers UK 2017 lauded Charles as an “experienced technician” by interviewees, who praise his “methodical, accurate and detailed approach to pursuing matters”. The most recent edition praises Charles for being “extremely competent and very clever.”
Prior to joining the firm, Charles practised from 1996 to 2007 as a barrister in a commercial set of chambers in London (Stone Chambers), specialising in all aspects of commercial and shipping litigation, including arbitration.
Charles has some knowledge of Persian, Arabic and Spanish.
Charles has advised in relation to a variety of cases within his areas of specialization. He also specialises in Court work.
Cases which are reported on the Isle of Man High Court website (www.judgments.im) in which Charles has appeared include:
- FSC v LG SP Investments & others (CHP 2012/125-6) judgments 12/10/12, 16/10/12
- FSC v Louis Group Structured Capital and others (CHP 2012/125-6, 138-40, 163) judgment 21/1/13
- FSC v Louis Group Structured Capital and others judgment 21/5/13 (costs)
- Kennedy and Australian Securities and Investments Commission (CHP 2009/15) judgment 11/11/9 (letter of request)
- Lakeland Oil & Gas v Transtema & Transdanubia (CP 2008/128) judgment 16/4/9 (freezing order)
- Mawer & Hill v Aston International Ltd (CHP 2011/5) judgment 8/2/12
- LM Moore Investments v SV Co judgments 27/5/11, 24/11/11, 16/1/12 (receivership)
- Penfolds v Treasury (2DS 2011/16) judgments 13/7/12, 24/8/12 (national insurance)
- Templeton Insurance Ltd & Knox D’Arcy Operations Ltd v Corlett (ORD 11/093) judgments 18/6/13 and 18/2/14 (directors’ duties)
- Templeton Insurance Ltd & Knox D’Arcy Operations Ltd v various (ORD 2010/93) judgment 21/1/11 (Norwich Pharmacal).
- Milestone Telecom v Critchley et al judgment 21/1/15 (amendment, limitation, constructive trust
- Evans v Hanrahan judgment 26/6/15 (professional negligence)
- De Yoxall v Moore judgments 22/5/15 and 4/8/15 (discount rate in personal injury actions)
- Stephen Harding v Adam Wood judgment 30/10/15 and 18/12/15 (disciplinary proceedings, injunction application, crown immunity)
- The Isle of Man Financial Services Authority v Louis & others (CHP 2016/73) judgment 2017 (company officer disqualification)
- Darroch v HSBC (ORD 2015/58) judgment 9/11/16 (amendment)
- Nectrus v UCP PLC & others ORD 2017/27 judgments 9/7/18, 25/9/18 (jurisdiction)
“Extremely competent and very clever.”