Garry Manley is a partner in our Isle of Man office who advises on a broad range of Isle of Man and BVI corporate transactions. He leads the firm’s funds & investment services team in the Isle of Man.
Garry has extensive experience of advising on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, venture capital and private equity investments, international securities offerings, corporate restructurings and corporate governance issues, with a particular focus on regulated financial services and insurance businesses.
He received a First Class law degree from Oxford University, where he placed in the top 10 in his year and received numerous academic awards, including the Quadrant Chambers Prize for obtaining the highest mark in the university in one of his papers. Before joining Appleby he practised for almost a decade in the London, Hong Kong and New York offices of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP.
Legal 500 UK describes Garry as “an outstanding corporate lawyer” who “knows how to get a deal done”.
Garry is a solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales, an Isle of Man advocate and a solicitor in the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands).
Recent examples of Garry’s representative work include:
- Advising SBTech (Global) Limited on its $3.3 billion three-way merger with DraftKings Inc. and Diamond Eagle Acquisition Corp.
- Advising STX Entertainment on its merger-of-equals with Eros International (the first example of an Isle of Man company issuing contingent value rights).
- Advising International Financial Group Limited on its acquisition of a 76% interest in Friends Provident International Limited for £259 million.
- Advising the second Basalt Infrastructure Partners fund on its recommended takeover of AIM-listed Manx Telecom plc for approximately £255.9 million.
- Advising Monument Re on its acquisition of LCLI International Life Assurance Company Limited and Charles Taylor Group’s other Isle of Man operations.
- Advising KKR & Co. on its acquisition of Prometic Bioseparations Ltd from Liminal BioSciences Inc.
- Advising Thomas Miller Investment (Isle of Man) Limited on the sale of its offshore private client investment management business to Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management.
- Advising W.H. Ireland Group plc on the sale of W H Ireland (IOM) Limited to Ravenscroft Holdings.
- Advising on the establishment of a number of regulated collective investment schemes.
Oxford University (University College)
Corporate, Banking & Asset Finance, Corporate Finance, Derivatives, Funds & Investment Services, Fund Governance, Listing Services, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Structured Finance, Insurance & Reinsurance, Regulatory Advice