Matthew Ebbs-Brewer is a partner in the Corporate department of Appleby´s Bermuda office and leads the funds and investment services team in Bermuda. He is also a member of Appleby’s global Technology & Innovation group, providing comprehensive advice in connection with all aspects of initial coin offerings and the carrying on of digital asset business. Matthew has advised corporations, funds and high-net-worth individuals on a range of both contentious and non-contentious matters with notable experience in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, as well as the establishment and development of multinational group structures, joint ventures and both standalone and master/feeder fund structures (including those investing in insurance-linked securities).
Prior to joining Appleby, Matthew trained and then worked as an associate in the London office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP. Matthew has also worked in the Cayman office of another leading international law firm.
Matthew graduated from the University of Durham in 2006, with a Bachelor of Laws degree, and completed his legal practice course in 2007, at the College of Law (now University of Law), in London. He was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2009 (non-practising) and called to the Bermuda Bar in 2015. Matthew became a Notary Public of Bermuda in 2016 and an Attorney-at-Law in the Cayman Islands (non-practising). He is also a member of the Law Society of England and Wales.
Matthew is recommended by Legal 500 Caribbean 2020 in the Corporate and Commercial category. He is also ranked as a ‘notable practitioner’ by IFLR1000.
Matthew has been an author of, and contributed to, a number of articles and legal publications addressing questions of Bermuda law. He has also co-hosted a table on structuring offshore investment funds at Hedge Connection’s tableTalks in New York City.
- Fund Finance 2020 – Global Legal Group – February 2020
- Bermuda Funds in a Digital Age – Hedgeweek – March 2019
- Bermuda Chapter of Private Funds: Where and How? Dechert LLP – March 2018
- M&A Guide 2018 – Legal 500 – November 2018
- Bermuda: Mergers & Acquisitions – The In-House Lawyer – July 2018
- Art of Negotiation – RG Business – May 2019
- Bermuda funds – more than a token offering? – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – November 2018
- The LLC and business combinations – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – October 2018
- Analysis: Why cruise lines may find captives attractive – Insurance POST – July 2017
- New kid on the block: Bermuda LLCs, Trusts – Royal Gazette – May 2017
- Bermuda: M&A – The In-House Lawyer – September 2016
- Navigating the Bermuda Regulatory Landscape for M&A – Law 360 – March 2016
- A Look at Deal Protection Mechanisms in Bermuda – Law 360 – February 2016
- A Brief Introduction to the Fiduciary and Common Law Duties of Directors in Bermuda – Appleby – January 2016
- Acquisitions Effected by Mergers, Amalgamations and Schemes of Arrangements – Appleby – December 2015
- Virtual Currency in Bermuda: One “Bit” at a Time – Royal Gazette – November 2015
- Bermuda’s All-Inclusive Cruise Registration Offering – Royal Gazette – May 2015
- AkinovA, acted as Bermuda counsel to AkinovA on all matters leading up to the completion of a first of its kind parametric cyber risk transfer.
- AccorInvest Group, acted as Bermuda counsel to AccorInvest Group in connection with the sale of its Fairmont Southampton property. Fairmont Southampton which features 593-rooms, 10 restaurants, a spa, the 18-hole, par-three Turtle Hill Golf Club, the Mid-Ocean Amphitheatre and more than 25,000 square feet of meeting space is Bermuda’s largest tourism property.
- Horseshoe Insurance Services Holdings Ltd., acted as counsel to the sellers of Horseshoe Insurance Services Holdings Ltd. in connection with the sale of the Horseshoe group to Artex Risk Solutions (Holdings) Limited, a subsidiary of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- AkinovA, acted as Bermuda counsel in relation to the launch of the AkinovA Marketplace, an electronic trading platform for insurance and reinsurance industry participants (Market Participants)
- Rewire Bermuda Feeder Fund, acted as Bermuda counsel to Rewire and Vida in connection with the launch of new ILS manager Merion Square
- XBTO, advised on the successful application for a Digital Asset Business (DABA) Licence as a Digital Asset Service Vendor (Market maker for digital assets) under the Digital Asset Business Act which represented the third DABA licence to have been issued by the Bermuda Monetary Authority
- Longtail Aviation, advised Fabian Bello on the purchase of a majority interest in Longtail Aviation, a Bermudian-based charter jet operator and the only holder of a Bermuda air operators certificate.
- Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited, acted for Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited during a competitive sale process (valued at c. $2.6 billion) which was won by private equity firm Apollo Global Management LLC.
- Validus Holdings Ltd, advised Validus on its $5.6 billion acquisition by American International Group, Inc. Appleby demonstrated the strength and depth of its corporate team on this transaction with a combination of specialist M&A and regulatory lawyers forming the deal team.
- Marvell Technology Group Ltd., (Marvell), advised on the acquisition of Cavium for USD 6 billion. Advice included the preparation of a presentation to be delivered to the directors of Marvell, outlining the fiduciary duties arising under Bermudian law in the context of the transaction.
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation, advised on the Bermuda aspects of its acquisition of Exhale, the wellness resort and spa company.
- Global Bankers Insurance Group, LLC, acted as lead counsel to Global Banker Insurance Group, LLC in connection with their acquisition of certain entities within the Beechwood Group which was a family of reinsurance and asset management companies.
- Saïd Holdings Limited – principal investment vehicle for the Saïd family, acted as Bermuda counsel to Saïd Holdings in connection with the sale of 5 Churchill Place, a Canary Wharf office building, for £270m to Hong Kong billionaire Chen Hongtian acting through his private real estate vehicle, Cheung Kei Group.
- Sompo Canopius AG, acted in connection with the sale of the excess casualty book of business to Bermuda’s Hamilton Re.
- Horseshoe Group’s acquisition of IKONIC Fund Services, advised as lead counsel on the acquisition of IKONIC Fund Services, allowing Horseshoe Group to solidify its stance as the largest independent insurance manager for the ILS market.
- One Communications Ltd., advised One, a publicly traded investment holding company (BSX:ONE.BH) in a cross border refinancing transaction with HSBC Bank Bermuda Limited and the adjudication of claims.
- Ocean Bank, advised in relation to an investment contract between Butterfield (Bermuda) Limited and Sunlife Financial Investments.
- B Lab, provided Bermuda law advice to B Lab on the potential availability of B Lab certification to Bermuda organisations. B Lab is a non-profit organization which has created a certification which it awards to for profit organisations that are committed to the creation of value for society and not just for the traditional stakeholders of an organisation such as its shareholders.
- Kiskadee Investment Managers Ltd. (subsidiary of Hiscox), acted in connection with its establishment of a “fund of one” structure for an institutional investor, that included an excluded fund and a special purpose insurer.
- Genstar Capital, acted as Bermuda counsel to Genstar Capital (Genstar) in its entry into definitive agreements to recapitalize independent fund administrator Apex Fund Services (“Apex”) and simultaneously acquire Equinoxe Alternative Investment Services (“Equinoxe”). With the addition of Equinoxe, Apex will increase its suite of middle office solutions and will administer close to $80 billion in assets.
- Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel in relation to its sale to the Endurance Specialty Group for a purchase price satisfied by a mixture of shares and cash valued at USD 1.83 billion and structured by way of merger with an Endurance subsidiary.
- One Communications Ltd., (formerly known as KeyTech Limited), advised in connection with a multi-layered transaction that included the acquisition of the remainder of Bermuda Digital Communications Ltd. (CellOne) and the acquisition by Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., of a controlling interest in Keytech.
- PartnerRe Ltd., acted in connection with the acquisition by Exor (the investment group of Italy’s Agnelli family) of all of the outstanding common shares of PartnerRe. The total transaction was valued at c.USD 6.9 billion.
- Virgin Group Investments Ltd., advised the investment arm of billionaire Richard Branson’s family, in connection with new cruise industry venture by designing and constructing two new world class cruise ships. The lead co-investor in the deal was Bain Capital, one of the world’s leading private equity firms.
- KeyTech Limited., advising in connection with a multi-layered transaction that included the acquisition of the remainder of Bermuda Digital Communications Ltd. (CellOne) and the acquisition by Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., of a controlling interest in Keytech.
Durham University (England)
University of Law (England)