Peter McMaster QC is a partner and head of the Dispute Resolution practice group in Cayman. Before joining Appleby in 2012 Peter practised at the London bar as a silk in a leading commercial chancery set (Serle Court).
Peter works on high value commercial disputes in the corporate, funds and insolvency field. He is also well known for his work in trusts disputes, fraud and asset tracing and in sensitive regulatory matters. His work often spans multiple jurisdictions. He has many years of experience conducting disputes at first instance and in the highest appellate courts as well as in arbitral and disciplinary tribunals.
Peter has been consistently recognised by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 since 2009. Most recently, he was described by Chambers Global 2019 as a ´solid choice of representation´. In their 2018 guide noted him as ´a superb advocate´ and ´first rate in his knowledge of the Cayman courts and judiciary system´. He was praised as someone who is “formidably bright, an excellent drafter, great at seeing the bigger picture and thinks several stages ahead” by Legal 500 2016 and by Chambers Global 2017 as an “accomplished advocate” who is “incredibly studious, well prepared and intelligent. Who’s Who Legal for 2017 lists him as among the world´s leading private client lawyers; and Who´s Who Legal 2018 lists him among the world´s leading Asset Recovery Lawyers; and the world´s leading investigations lawyers.
Recent cases include:
- Shareholder litigation in the Financial Services Division involving Cayman company acting as holding company for far eastern business with a collective value in excess of US$ 1 billion.
- Lead counsel in US$ 36 million shareholder dispute in BVI Commercial Division involving shares in BVI company acting as holding company for Ukrainian business.
- Dispute between shareholders in BVI company involving arbitration in Hong Kong and proceedings in BVI.
- Lead counsel in appeal to the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal against injunction to prevent world-wide enforcement by BVI company of judgment in its favour.
- Lead counsel in appeal to the Court of Appeal of the Cayman Islands in US$ 23 million claw back claims by insolvent fund against redeemers.
- Advising on and facilitating settlement of dispute between founder partners of Cayman Fund.
- Advising with teams in the Cayman Islands, BVI, Bermuda, Guernsey, London and New York on sensitive regulatory matters involving assets offshore affected by EU and other sanctions.
- Assisting liquidation committee of insolvent Cayman company to oppose proposed settlement of creditor claims.
- Lead counsel for owners of the Ritz Carlton development in Grand Cayman in appeal to the Court of Appeal in the Cayman Islands in claim to enforce rental pool obligations.
King’s College, University of London (England)