Brad Adderley is a partner in the Corporate department in Bermuda and has been a member of the Insurance team for over 20 years. He is also a member of Appleby’s global Technology & Innovation team, providing comprehensive advice in connection with all aspects of initial coin offerings and the carrying on of digital asset business.
Brad has been recognised as a ´Leader in his Field´ by Chambers Global since 2011, and top-ranked in Band 1 for insurance for his outstanding insurance practice. He was regarded by Chambers Global 2019 as “an excellent attorney to work with,” and noted for his “deep knowledge and great relationship network.” He has particular expertise in catastrophe bonds and other insurance-linked securities. Peers recognise that “he is very prominent in the Bermuda market” and has a “strong following and good reputation.” Brad is also consistently recommended by Legal 500 Caribbean and IFLR1000 in the Financial, Corporate and Commercial and Insurance/Reinsurance categories.
Brad also led the Bermuda team recognised at the 2015 UK Captive Services Awards for ´Most Innovative Use of an ART Structure’. Brad participates regularly at conferences and seminars, and provides commentary to international and local media on the Bermuda insurance industry.
- Appleby’s Adderley: Bermuda eases path to collateralized reinsurance – A.M Best TV – June 2019
- Bermuda ILS overhaul welcomed but will new vehicles take off? – Trading Risk – June 2019
- 2019 marks period of uncertainty for ILS: Appleby’s Adderley – Bermuda: Re+ILS – February 2019
- Law and Practice – Chambers Insurance and Reinsurance 2019 Guide – February 2019
- Keeping pace with a rapid evolution – Bermuda Finance 2018, Roundtable ILS – September 2018
- Bermuda showed its mettle – Bermuda:Re+ILS Monte Carlo Roundtable – September 2018
- Regulation key to Bermuda’s future – Reactions: Rendez-Vous Reporter, Monte Carlo – September 2018
- Treading the fine line to ILS success – Bermuda:Re+ILS – September 2018
- ‘ILS Convergence 2018’ – A.M. Best TV – October 2018
- ‘Looking Back at 2017‘- Intelligent Insurer – April 2018
- ‘ILS market issuance and innovation to continue in 2018: Appleby’ – Artemis – January 2018
- ‘Hurricanes, earthquakes test mettle of burgeoning alternative capital market’ – Business Insurance – October 2017
- ‘No Forecasts of investor flight from insurance-linked securities’ – Business Insurance – October 2017
- ‘Time to shine after the storms have passed’ – Bermuda Re+ILS Monte Carlo Roundtable – September 2017
- ‘Appleby points out flaws in reinsurers’ dreams of hard market‘ – Intelligent Insurer – September 2017
- ‘ILS market shows its new maturity‘ – Intelligent Insurer – September 2017
- ILS Bermuda Executive Roundtable 2016 – Artemis – January 2017
- ‘Bermuda emerges as home to life writers‘ – A.M. Best TV – September 2016
- ‘Why Bermuda will remain central to risk transfer innovation‘ – Intelligent Insurer – September 2016
- ‘Life market tipped for growth‘ – Intelligent Insurer – September 2016
- ‘Tempest and Turmoil’ – Xuber’s Bermuda Executive Roundtable – July 2016
- ‘Bermuda’s regulation enhances business opportunities: Brad Adderley‘ – Artemis – February 2016
- Appleby involved in two-thirds of ILS transactions in Bermuda in 2015 – Artemis – February 2016
- ILS Year-End 2015 Update – Interview with Brad Adderley – Aon Benfield’s Insurance-Linked Securities Year-End 2015 Update – January 2016
- Innovative Bermuda thrives in period of change – Intelligent Insurer – September 2015
- ‘New capital sources ready to surge in next time disaster strikes market’, Business Insurance – August 2015
- ‘$2.96 billion in cat bonds issued in first half of 2015’, Business Insurance – August 2015
- ‘Insurance-Linked Securities Sector Grows with Emergence of ‘Cat Bonds Lite’, Business Insurance – April 2015
- ‘Bermuda – Still the Domicile of choice for ILS’, Bermuda Stock Exchange News – January 2015
- ‘The Global Centre for Risk Management’ European CEO – August 2014
- ‘Capital Market Players in Bermuda Insurance to Stay’ (video), A.M. Best TV – June 2014
Catastrophe bond & other ILS structures:
- Artex SAC Limited., advised Artex SAC Limited in connection with several Dodeka private catastrophe bond transactions from ILS investment fund manager Twelve Capital
- Artex SAC Limited., advised Artex SAC Limited in connection with a $50.22 million catastrophe bond transaction
- Tullett Prebob, advised Tullett Prebon, one of the world’s leading interdealer brokers, on the launch of their Insurance-Linked Notes (ILN) platform which will allow registered users to buy or sell natural catastrophe protection using customisable instruments.
- Tailwind Re Ltd., advised Bermuda headquartered reinsurance firm Validus Holdings on its first full catastrophe bond issuance with the Tailwind Re Ltd., valued at $400 million.
- Spectrum Capital Ltd., advised on its first full cat bond issuance from Tokio Millennium Re (Bermuda) during its upsize from original $250 million to $430 million thanks to investor appetite and pricing.
- Hoplon III, advised on the incorporation and organization of a special purpose insurer, Hoplon III, and the formation of the purpose trust pursuant to the third insurance-linked (ILS) securities transaction from MyLotto24, a UK-based lottery provider owned by the Zeal Group. Matter value €90 million.
- Panthera Re Limited., advised on Panthera Re Limited’s issuance of a single $100 million tranche of Series 2018-1 Class A Principal At-Risk Variable Rate Notes.
- Harambee Re Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel in connection with the private placement by international specialty re/insurer Argo Group’s collateralized sidecar, Harambee Re, for the 2018 renewal season. The sidecar was first launch in 2013, as the Argo Group began to work with third-party investors to gain access to efficient reinsurance capacity.
- Tailwind Re Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel in connection with Tailwind Re Ltd.’s first issuance of three tranches of Series 2017-1 notes to cat bond investors. The proceeds from the sale of these notes were used to fully collateralize underlying reinsurance agreements with Validus companies. This was Validus’ first full catastrophe bond issuance.
- Nakama Re Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel for Zenkyoren’s latest cat bond, Nakama Re Ltd., which recently launched seeking a $700 million source of fully-collateralized Japanese earthquake reinsurance protection for the agricultural mutual insurer.
- Hoplon III Insurance Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel for Hoplon III Insurance Ltd. in respect of its licensing as a special purpose insurer and segregated accounts company and its fully collateralised insurance program insuring a lottery betting game provider against the risk for high prize-payouts and listing of notes on the Bermuda Stock Exchange.
- Thopas Re Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel for International specialty insurer Chaucer plc in the formation and licensing of Thopas Re Ltd., a Bermuda domiciled fully collateralized reinsurance sidecar that will provide additional capital markets backed capacity to the firm’s Chaucer Syndicate 1084’s global reinsurance portfolio in 2018.
- Operational Re, acted in connection with incorporation, organisation, licensing and transaction documents of Operational Re(Credit Suisse), with a total transaction value of USD$223 million.
- Bonanza Re Ltd., acted as special legal counsel in connection with the sale and issue by the client of a Series 2016-1 Class A and Class B Principal-at-Risk Variable Rate Notes with a total value of US$200 million.
- White Rock Insurance (SAC) Ltd., advised White Rock Insurance (SAC) Ltd., a Class 3 insurer, on the listing on the Bermuda Stock Exchange of the White Rock Insurance (SAC) Ltd ILS Program. Appleby’s role included assisting in setting up the program, corresponding with the Bermuda Stock Exchange, and reviewing transaction documentation such as the base prospectus and the note purchasing agreement. This matter was a further marker of Appleby’s extensive experience listing insurance notes.
Collateralized reinsurance platforms:
- Fleming Reinsurance Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel for Fleming Reinsurance Ltd., a Bermuda-based specialist run-off insurer, in connection with its licensing as a Class 3A insurer. In January 2019, Fleming Reinsurance Ltd. announced the completion of its first run-off transaction
- Harambee Re Ltd., supporting two of the Argo Group’s core business units, the Bermuda reinsurance operation Argo Re and its excess and surplus lines specialist arm Colony Specialty, by providing $52,400,000 of reinsurance for specific property portfolios underwritten by these two business units
- Carolina Re Ltd., Assisted with the formation and licensing of Carolina Re Ltd. as a Class 3A insurer. Carolina was set up for the purpose of providing reinsurance protection to six US affiliated entities through intragroup quota share agreements on a fully collateralized basis.
- Valor Group Ltd., advised on the formation of VL Assurance (Bermuda) Ltd., a Bermuda exempted company, which was established to merge with Bermuda International Insurance Services Limited, a Bermuda local company registered as (a)a Class C Insurer and (b)a segregated accounts company (Merger).
Mergers and Acquisitions:
- International Medical Group, Inc., advised on the sale of International Medical Group, Inc. to Sirius International Insurance Group. Matter value $250 million + add ons.
- Partner Re Ltd., acted for PartnerRe Ltd. in its agreement and plan of merger with EXOR S.p.A under which EXOR will acquire all of the outstanding shares of PartnerRe. The total transaction is valued at USD$6.9 billion.
- Atlas Merchant Capital LLC (“Atlas”)a, dvised on the purchase of US$7.5 million common shares in Somerset Reinsurance Limited, a company incorporated under the laws of Bermuda and registered as a Class E Insurer.
- Crown Global Titan Life Insurance Ltd. (“Crown Global”), advised on the sale of 81% of its shares by Crown Global Holdings Ltd. by way of a share transfer agreement.
- Allianz Re Bermuda, advised Allianz Re Bermuda in relation to the incorporation and licensing of Allianz Re Bermuda Life Ltd., a Bermuda Class E insurer.
- CICA Life Bermuda Ltd., assisted with the formation and licensing as a Class E insurer. CICA Life was set up for the purposes of receiving the entire international life insurance portfolio of CICA Life Insurance Company of America, through a novation agreement to CICA Life by way of a portfolio transfer.
- Kuvare Life Re Ltd, advised in relation to the formation and structuring of Kuvare Re Life Ltd., a Bermuda exempted company registered as a Class E Insurer.
- Atherton Bermuda Hold Co Ltd. (“Atherton”), advised Atherton Bermuda Hold Co Ltd. (“Atherton”) on a USD 400,000,000 letter of credit facility.
- Ocean Bank, advised in relation to an investment contract between Butterfield (Bermuda) Limited and Sunlife Financial Investments.
- Athene Holding Ltd, advised on Athene Holding Ltd. (Athene)’s secondary offering of $793.8 million of shares. Appleby provided advice on submitting the SEC S-1 and opined and commented on the transaction documents.
- Veritas Group Limited., advised on Veritas Group Limited (Veritas)’s Bermuda Stock Exchange listings of 10,000,000 class A common shares with a view to promote Veritas’ business of issuing financial insurance guarantee to investors.
- Sunpoint Reinsurance Limited Appleby, advising, reviewing and commenting on the corporate structure of the run-off platform; providing local law regulatory advice, and reviewing, negotiating and finalising agreements necessary for the operation of the future run-off platform.
- African Risk Capacity Insurance Company, advised on the Bermuda incorporation and registration of African Risk Capacity Insurance Company Ltd, valued at USD$135 million, intended to help participating African Union member states become more resilient to extreme weather.
“He’s my go-to person – he has a very commercial sense, a strong work ethic and is a pleasure to deal with.”