Dean is an Associate in the Corporate department in the Cayman Islands. He advises on a wide variety of corporate and finance transactions including mergers, acquisitions, bank lending, structured products, debt and equity capital markets, derivatives, repurchase and securities lending transactions. Dean is the co-author of the Legal 500 2018 M&A Country Comparative Guide (Cayman Islands Chapter).
Dean is experienced with ISDA and other industry standard trading and collateral documentation, as well as with netting and insolvency issues.
He has particular experience advising corporate trustees and creditors on debt defaults, restructurings, schemes of arrangement and enforcements.
Prior to joining Appleby, Dean was an Associate in the Structured Capital Markets team at Baker & McKenzie LLP in London, where he worked in the areas of capital markets, derivatives, financial regulation and structured finance. Dean also spent six months in Baker & McKenzie’s Moscow office working on a wide range of corporate and finance transactions across the CIS region. During his time at his previous law firm, Dean co-authored several articles and presented on derivatives regulation, clearing and regulatory capital.
Recent transactional highlights include:
- Acting for major financial institution in connection with a USD50million capital call facility and USD100million margin loan to a Cayman fund.
- Advising leading global bank on establishing an innovative collateralised intermediated swap arrangement with a large fund
- Providing a netting opinion to a leading US bank covering transactions entered into with a Cayman LLC under its prime brokerage agreement, the New York and English law ISDA Master Agreement and credit support documentation and the Master Repurchase Agreement.
- Advising leading US bank in connection with OTC derivative transactions entered into with a Cayman Islands insurer
- Advising large corporate on the USD4 billion disposal of its power and infrastructure assets to a private equity house
- Advising large US corporate group in connection with an internal reorganisation and restructuring of its Cayman entities.
Representative experience (prior to joining Appleby):
- Advised fund manager on the restructuring of structured notes issued by Cayman issuer to a Cayman fund marketed to international investors
- Advising leading corporate trustee as convertible bond trustee in connection with a UK scheme of arrangement of a LSE listed issuer
- Advising leading corporate trustee as security and note trustee in connection with a payment default and acceleration and enforcement of a secured loan participation note issuance involving oil assets located in Azerbaijan held through offshore structure
- Advised trustees of a large UK pension scheme on a collateralised longevity swap transaction using a hybrid insurance/reinsurance structure with direct payments and collateral transfers between the scheme and reinsurer
- Advised U.S. fund manager on the establishment of a UCITS regulated fund to invest in OTC derivatives and FX forwards and on UCITS regulation
- Advised European Rating Agency on the development of its UK covered bonds rating framework
- Advised two leading European banks on hedging of interest rates in respect to a secured GBP400 million real estate finance loan facility
- College of Law, Moorgate
- University of Kent, Canterbury