John Bisson is a Partner within the Property department in Jersey.
He joined Appleby in 1971, and became a partner when he qualified as a Jersey Solicitor in 1987. In April 2013 John became a consultant. He is a former Chairman of the Executive Board and Group General Counsel.
John specialises in commercial and residential property development and has advised on many major and innovative commercial property developments in Jersey. He is widely acknowledged as the leading commercial property practitioner in the Island.
John was most recently recognised by Chambers UK 2017 and deemed “efficient, prompt and concise”by clients. He was once again recognised by Chambers UK 2017 for being a ´Notable Practitioner´ and is also recognised as a ´Senior Statesmen.´ He was named as a ´Leader in his Field´ by Chambers UK 2015. In Chambers Europe, 2014 John was described as a formidable figure in the real estate market. “He has a huge reputation in this area,” say clients, who add “his input enabled us to achieve everything we wanted to.” He was named as a ‘Leader in his Field’ by Chambers Europe 2011 and 2010 and was listed as “a leading light in property law” by Chambers Global 2009. The directory went on to commend him for being “knowledgeable and diplomatic” and commented on his skill at handling “even the most difficult and complex transactions.”
John is referred to by clients as “excellent” says Legal 500 UK 2016. He was described as “a very able advocate” by Legal 500 UK 2011 and John was singled out as ´excellent technically but also extremely commercial´ in Legal 500 UK, 2010. He was recognised as a ´Leading Individual´ for commercial property by Legal 500 UK, 2008 and 2009 and was described in 2009 as a “top property lawyer” who is “extremely commercial and a very able advocate on difficult matters.”.
He is a member of, and was previously President of the Law Society of Jersey.
Recent examples of work include advising:
- Dandara in the purchase of 27 Esplanade, St Helier for development as a 70,000 square foot office block and in relation to a pre-let agreement with the JTC Group in respect of 29,600 square feet of space in the new development, also advising on a funding transaction entered into with HSBC in connection with the acquisition and development of the site
- Burano Limited in the £1.7 million purchase of the new ITV television studio at Castle Quay, St Helier, from the Dandara Group
- ESP45 Limited and ESP47 Limited, the owners of 45/47 Esplanade, in the £9.5 million financing with Santander UK plc
- Dandara in relation to the entry into a pre-let agreement with the Royal Bank of Canada in respect of parts of the iconic new six storey office block under construction at 66-72 Esplanade, St Helier. This was very high profile transaction with a financial institution which is one of Jersey’s largest employers
- Dandara in its acquisition, for residential development, of the site of the existing Jersey Dairy, for a minimum consideration of £12 million. This high-profile and complex transaction has the benefit of enabling the vendor to invest in a new, custom-built dairy facility
- Dandara on its ‘Castle Quay’ development, comprising approximately 300 apartments together with commercial units and public spaces. In addition to the complex structuring and sales work, Appleby concluded the land acquisition from Waterfront Enterprise Board Limited together with a £70 million loan facility from HSBC Bank plc and Lloyds TSB Offshore Limited
- The FSA-registered investment company Hotbed Limited, in its acquisition from Legal and General Assurance Society Limited of the Jersey headquarters of SG Hambros for £12.5 million
- JCN Investments (Jersey) Limited in connection with a pre-let agreement with, and the subsequent leases to, the Ogier Group in respect of its new office development at 44 Esplanade, St Helier. Then instructed by the same client John advised in an innovative disposal of a part of the development and the refinancing of the residue. The flagship development is over 98,000 square feet and designed to meet exacting BREEAM sustainability requirements
- Dandara on the purchase of 27 Esplanade for development as an office block
- Dandara on the £7m purchase of the Hotel Metropole in St Helier.
“[John] is excellent.”