Tom Brook is Counsel within the Corporate department and advises on a wide range of corporate and finance transactions taking place in the jurisdictions of the Isle of Man and the British Virgin Islands.
He qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2007 and worked for seven years in the banking and finance teams of two UK based international law firms. He has also gained significant commercial experience having spent six months on secondment within the legal department of Barclays Bank PLC. In 2011, Tom was called to the bar in the British Virgin Islands.
Tom has used his onshore legal banking and finance expertise to enhance and expand Appleby’s local lending practise area. Tom has diverse practise area and has experience on a wide range of transactions encompassing international finance, acquisitions, insolvency and matters involving the ever growing Isle of Man Aircraft Registry.
Tom was recommended by Legal 500 UK 2015, referred to as “very responsive and sensible.” In 2016 the guide recommended him for his shipping and aviation finance expertise. Most recently Legal 500 UK 2018 ranked Tom as a ‘Next Generation’ lawyer in Investment Funds & Capital Markets, as well as being noted in the practices areas of Banking and Finance, Commercial Property, Corporate and Commercial and Insurance and Pensions.
Some recent examples of Tom´s representative work include:
- Advising Strix Group plc on matters of Isle of Man law in connection with its £190 million listing on AIM.
- Advised RedWhiteBlue Digital Marketing Services Holdings Ltd, on the £75.8m take private of Creston Plc.
- Acting for the successful bidder in connection with the bid and subsequent acquisition of €1.4bn of loans being auctioned by the Irish National Asset Management Association (NAMA).
- Acting for the secured party in connection with the successful hostile enforcement of share security over of a group of companies registered in the Isle of Man.
- Acting for numerous purchasers and vendors in relation to high value acquisitions of London based real estate where the assets are held in Isle of Man and BVI corporate structures or trusts.
- Acting for a syndicate of institutional lenders (lead by Barclays) on the Isle of Man aspects of the $1bn senior debt facility to a leading Isle of Man registered global gold producer.
- Acting for The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited and Isle of Man Bank Limited in connection with their most significant Isle of Man based real estate deals.
- Acting for Credit Suisse on the Isle of Man aspects of the $100m senior debt refinancing of a leading Isle of Man registered independent oil producer.
- Acting for a syndicate of institutional lenders (lead by Barclays) on the Isle of Man security aspects consequential to an override agreement between various lenders and a leading multimedia plc.
- Acting for HSBC Bank plc in relation to a number of the largest property investment and development finance transactions which have taken place in the Isle of Man.
- Acting for Standard Bank Isle of Man Limited in relation to their largest property investment finance loan.
- Acting for secured lenders providing finance to corporate borrowers holding business aircraft registered on the Isle of Man Aircraft Register.
University of Manchester (England)
College of Law (Chester, England)
“[Tom] is very responsive and sensible.”