- Successfully bringing claims against the former partners of a Russian oligarch. Obtained a worldwide freezing order, and froze cash in the Cayman Islands and elsewhere.*
- Acting for Mukhtar Ablyazov defending eight sets of High Court claims brought by BTA Bank for in excess of $4 billion. These were some of the largest, most publicised claims ever to be brought before the English court. *
- Representing an international company and subsequent insolvency practitioners in relation to a fraud committed, including obtaining a freezing injunction in London and subsequently placing the wrongdoer into bankruptcy. *
- Representing a successful businessman based in London, who is subject to a US$572 million alleged fraud claim, which was strenuously denied and hard fought. *
- Representing insolvency practitioners appointed over four connected insolvent estates in relation to asset-tracing and recovery actions to secure assets salted away through a large-scale and sophisticated investment fraud, spanning a range of jurisdictions (ongoing). *
* Prior to joining Appleby
Alan is listed as a leading individual by both The Legal 500 and Chambers UK.
“Alan is very knowledgeable.” “He is on top of all the relevant issues and sees them immediately.” (Chambers UK 2024). He advises clients, including major corporates and high net worth individuals, in relation to litigating disputes as well as tracing and recovering assets across multiple jurisdictions. “Alan Bercow is a senior statesman in this area, and deservedly so. Calm and cunning, he makes a difficult opponent and a great leader of his teams” (Legal 500 UK 2024).
Qualifications & Education
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- University of Keele (BA Hons)
Memberships & Associations
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- CEDR Accredited Mediator
- Member of R3, Insol Europe and the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association.
“Alan Bercow is a senior statesman and deservedly so. Calm and cunning, he makes a difficult opponent and a great leader of his teams”