Matthew Carr is Counsel within the Corporate department of Appleby’s Bermuda office. He joined the firm in September 2010 as a trainee with the Funds & Investment Services team and went on to gain experience with the Private Client & Trusts team, Dispute Resolution team and the Insurance team.
He was called to the Bermuda Bar in September 2011 and has been a member of the Corporate practice group’s Insurance Team since September 2012.
Prior to joining Appleby, Matthew completed the Legal Practice Course in London at the Nottingham/Kaplan School of Law. He earned a Bachelor of Law (Honours) at the University of Reading, where he was the recipient of the 2008 Enterprise Rent-A-Car Entrepreneur Award. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics (Advanced Major) from Dalhousie University.
Matthew also gained practical experience in the reinsurance industry with Renaissance Reinsurance Ltd., and when time permits, is an avid sailor and stand-up paddler competing both nationally and internationally.
Matthew is recognised by Legal 500 Caribbean as a ‘Rising Star’ in the Insurance/Reinsurance category.
- Regulations Steering Bermuda Captives Ahead of the Competition – Captive International – January 2019
- Bermuda innovative Insurer (Pink) Sandbox – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – July 2018
Recent highlights have included assisting with:
- AkinovA, acted as Bermuda counsel to AkinovA on all matters leading up to the completion of a first of its kind parametric cyber risk transfer.
- AkinovA, acted as Bermuda counsel in relation to the launch of the AkinovA Marketplace, an electronic trading platform for insurance and reinsurance industry participants (Market Participants).
- Advised a Bermuda company, registered as a Class 3A insurer and as a segregated accounts company on a number of credit finance transactions involving multi-national corporations and global financial institutions, backed by insurance and reinsurance.
- International Medical Group, Inc., advised on the sale of International Medical Group, Inc. to Sirius International Insurance Group. Matter value $250 million + add ons.
- The set-up of a collateralised reinsurance platform – Collateralised Re – the related incorporation and registration with the Bermuda Monetary Authority of 5 special purpose insurers for underlying European funds of one of the largest ILS providers in the world.
- Valor Group Ltd., advised on the formation of VL Assurance (Bermuda) Ltd., a Bermuda exempted company, which was established to merge with Bermuda International Insurance Services Limited, a Bermuda local company registered as (a)a Class C Insurer and (b)a segregated accounts company (Merger).
- Plymouth Guarantee Ltd, advised on the incorporation and licensing of a Class 3A Insurer created to provide tailored reinsurance and surplus line insurance to U.S. based health plans.
- Phoenix CRetro, a catastrophe retrocessional reinsurance platform that offers institutional investors and capital providers in Central and Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States (which consists of countries formerly part of the Soviet Union and the Middle East & North Africa) a way to access the international reinsurance market.
- Global Atlantic Financial Group Limited, private sale of a majority stake in Goldman Sachs’ reinsurance group to Banco BTG Pactual S.A., including property and casualty reinsurance brand Ariel Re (2014).
- Safe Harbor Re Ltd. (and Safe Harbor Holdings Ltd.), incorporation/registration of a Class C Insurer and subsequent restructuring of insurance company and parent, providing employment, property and corporate legal advice, facilitating large books of variables annuity products on a segregated account basis teams.
Kaplan/Nottingham Law School (England)
University of Reading (England)
Dalhousie University (Canada)