Richard is a Group Partner* and member of the Dispute Resolution team, specialising in advising clients on employment law, data protection and regulatory issues across the Channel Islands.
He qualified as an English Solicitor in 2003 and joined Appleby in August 2014. Prior to joining Appleby, Richard worked for an international law firm in the UK.
He advises on all areas of employment law including, strategic advice, litigation and transactional support, as well as advising on matters such as executive severance, employee share schemes, pensions, restrictive covenants, bonus disputes and trade union issues.
Richard has advised in the field of data protection for many years, both before and after the advent of GDPR and has recently advised a whole range of local and international clients on their implementation of the new data protection standards, as well as advising on numerous data protection disputes including subject access requests and complaints to the local data protection commissioners in the Channel Islands.
In addition, Richard has advised on a number of major contentious regulatory matters involving enforcement action being taken by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission against both individuals and financial services businesses.
Richard was named as a ‘Leading Individual’ in The Legal 500 UK 2021. Clients told Legal 500 that Richard “is outstanding” and “always very professional in his approach and is always on hand to assist.” Legal 500 go on to say that Richard “is prompt, concise and commercial, dealing with not only the immediate steps but also supporting a line of sight to the possible scenarios which helps HR with boardroom updates and management briefings.” The team were praised for being “personable, approachable and offer sound, pragmatic advice” and being “able to access international partners quickly to assist in our employment matters.”
Richard was regarded as a ‘Notable Practitioner’ by Chambers UK 2020. Clients say that “he is great at building rapport and breaking down the barriers. He’s also extremely helpful, approachable and professional.”
Richard’s experience includes advising;
- A Guernsey financial services business on the investigation and dismissal of a senior director in respect of allegations of fraud, together with the subsequent regulatory investigation by the GFSC
- Various global banks on restructuring their Channel Island businesses, including in relation to potential relocation and redundancy of staff, changes to pensions and to terms and conditions
- A Guernsey financial services business on a break down in the relationship between Chairman and Managing Director and subsequently on the exit of the Chairman, including buying out his shares in the business
- An international financial services business on the employment aspects of the acquisition of another business who had been subject to GFSC sanctions, including changes to terms and conditions and bonus arrangements
- Banks and other financial services businesses, on legal, tax and regulatory issues relating to the introduction and amendment of various employee incentive schemes and employee benefit trusts
University of Manchester (England)
Nottingham Law School (England)
*not admitted in Guernsey
[Richard] is outstanding, always very professional in his approach and is always on hand to assist