Richard is a Group Partner* and member of the Dispute Resolution team, specialising in advising clients on employment law, data protection and regulatory issues across the Channel Islands.
He qualified as an English Solicitor in 2003 and joined Appleby in August 2014. Prior to joining Appleby, Richard worked for an international law firm in the UK.
He advises on all areas of employment law including, strategic advice, litigation and transactional support, as well as advising on matters such as executive severance, employee share schemes, pensions, restrictive covenants, bonus disputes and trade union issues.
Richard has advised in the field of data protection for many years, both before and after the advent of GDPR and has recently advised a whole range of local and international clients on their implementation of the new data protection standards, as well as advising on numerous data protection disputes including subject access requests and complaints to the local data protection commissioners in the Channel Islands.
In addition, Richard has advised on a number of major contentious regulatory matters involving enforcement action being taken by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission against both individuals and financial services businesses.
Richard was named as a ‘Leading Individual’ in The Legal 500 UK 2023. Clients told Legal 500 that Richard “stands out from peers in the market due to his client care, ability to get under the skin of a firm and its client base and steeliness with the regulator.” Legal 500 go on to say that “Richard is down to earth, taking the time to ensure we understand the guidance, provides the pros and cons and uses examples to further embed the guidance. His manner and timely attention to a guidance request is exemplary.” The team were praised for their “no-nonsense pragmatism and a very collaborative approach.” and that “working with Appleby means that it feels like an extension of our in-house team.”
Richard was regarded as a Band 1 ‘Notable Practitioner’ by Chambers UK 2022. Clients say that he “is a very pragmatic lawyer with excellent communication skills. He can be trusted to provide sound advice” and that “he was calm, very knowledgeable and able to set out a very clear strategy.”
Richard’s experience includes advising;
- A Guernsey financial services business on the investigation and dismissal of a senior director in respect of allegations of fraud, together with the subsequent regulatory investigation by the GFSC
- Various global banks on restructuring their Channel Island businesses, including in relation to potential relocation and redundancy of staff, changes to pensions and to terms and conditions
- A Guernsey financial services business on a break down in the relationship between Chairman and Managing Director and subsequently on the exit of the Chairman, including buying out his shares in the business
- An international financial services business on the employment aspects of the acquisition of another business who had been subject to GFSC sanctions, including changes to terms and conditions and bonus arrangements
- Banks and other financial services businesses, on legal, tax and regulatory issues relating to the introduction and amendment of various employee incentive schemes and employee benefit trusts
University of Manchester (England)
Nottingham Law School (England)
* admitted in England and Wales
Dynamic, responsive and highly supportive