Iain is a Group Partner within the Corporate department in Jersey.
Iain specialises in all aspects of corporate and private equity work, M&A, banking, debt finance and real estate finance matters.
Iain has substantial offshore experience advising on all aspects of commercial real estate deals and private equity acquisitions, including some among the largest and most complex to have been undertaken in Jersey.
Prior to joining Appleby, Iain worked for over 15 years in private practice in Jersey and London, in one major offshore firm and a leading onshore practice. Iain is admitted as an English Solicitor (non-practising).
He is consistently ranked by Legal 500 as a rising star for Corporate and Banking:
- 2018 Legal 500 – Corporate – Rising Star
- 2019 Legal 500 – Corporate and Banking – Rising Star
- 2020 Legal 500 – Corporate – Rising Star
The following quotes were given as part of the client feedback process:
- “excellent, practical advice and very responsive”;
- “Iain Millar is excellent – we very much appreciate the productive and positive way in
which he approaches things, with a great combination of sound commercial advice and
- “excellent service and value for money. Strong industry and legal knowledge and very
Over the last 6 years Iain has been the lead lawyer on every deal he has worked on, with primary responsibility for all aspects of those deals.
In his last (Jersey) position, this work included:
- establishing the Jersey bidcos or JPUTs as relevant;
- the due diligence on the target groups;
- drafting all buy side ancillary documentation and reviewing and negotiating the acquisition documentation; and
- leading the associated borrower side leveraged finance mandates in respect of financing acquisitions.
Iain has advised many of the world most high profile institutions over a long period of time. His recent work includes:
- advising lenders and borrowers alike in respect of their most high profile real estate finance, leverage finance, restructuring and security enforcement projects;
- leading teams to successfully complete a series of major commercial real estate acquisitions and disposals. Including many of the most significant transactions involving Jersey in recent times; and
- leading teams to successfully complete a series of major private equity and corporate acquisitions, disposals and associated work, including many of the most significant private equity transactions involving Jersey in recent times.
- University of Exeter (England)
- BPP Law School (England)
“Excellent service and value for money. Strong industry and legal knowledge and very pragmatic advice”.