Abdalaliyy (Abdal) Aumeer is an Associate at the Mauritius office in the Dispute Resolution department. He also assists on corporate matters.
Abdal joined Appleby in December 2020 as a Pupil Barrister and after being called to the Bar in September 2021, joined Appleby’s Mauritius Dispute Resolution Practice as an Associate in October 2021.
Abdal appears as junior counsel in Appleby’s commercial litigation matters before the Supreme Court and appears regularly before all the lower courts. He has also acted in applications before the Supreme Court of Mauritius.
He has experience in commercial litigation and insolvency, including corporate disputes and restructuring. He also provides legal advice to clients within the insurance, global business and regulatory sectors.
Recent cases and involvements include:
- Acted for Partners in Performance Global Solutions, a global mining consultancy company in a dispute worth above USD10 million;
- Acted for New India Assurance Limited, a global insurance company in accident claims and other related court actions;
- Assisted MTC Sports and Leisure Ltd, the then sole horse racing organiser before the appeal committee of the Gambling Regulatory Authority in various appeals of decisions of racing stewards by jockeys;
- Represented the MTC Sports and Leisure Ltd in Plaint with Summons, Injunctions and Judicial Review court actions;
- Acted for the MTC Sports and Leisure Ltd in a judicial enquiry into the death of late jockey Nooresh Juglall, which was instituted by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions;
- Acted for Neon Liberty Emerging Markets Fund LP, a Delaware Limited Partnership in relation to shareholder recognition disputes;
- Represented Canada Life International Limited, a leading international provider in estate planning, in a cross-border fund dispute and attachment proceedings;
- Acted on behalf of a subsidiary of Big Bang ERP International Inc in relation to employment disputes;
- Acted as Mauritius counsel and assisted a local private entity in connection with USD 1,010,000,000 facilities for the acquisition of Hexaware Technologies Limited, of the Carlyle Group Inc;
- Assisted one of the largest investment funds in Mauritius in relation to regulatory inquiries conducted by the Financial Services Commission;
- Advised a foreign fintech company on the amalgamation of two listed Mauritian companies;
- Acted on behalf of settlors in a recovery of trust assets court action before the Supreme Court.
Abdal graduated from the University of Buckingham with a first class LLB (Honours) in 2017. He pursued a Master of Laws in International Tax Law at King’s College London in 2018. He completed his Bar Professional Training Course at City, University of London and was called to the Bar of England and Wales at the Honourable Society of Middle Temple in November 2019.
Abdal is a member of the Mauritius Bar Association and is fluent in both English and French.