Karina Li is an associate in the corporate department of Appleby’s Hong Kong office. Karina joined Appleby in January 2016, prior to which, she practiced as a corporate lawyer in a law firm in Sydney, Australia. Her recent practice involves advising clients on Bermuda, British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands law.
Karina focuses on areas of commercial and corporate finance, including advising on securities offerings, acquisition, leveraged and project financing, structured products, shipping and aircraft financing, credit facility arrangement, bond issuance, restructuring of corporates and financial institutions and various forms of credits and securities.
Karina is routinely instructed by major international and Asian financial institutions, listed and private companies, securities and leading onshore law firms.
Karina was admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, Australia in 2015.
Karina is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Recent cases include:
- Acting as Bermuda counsel to DBS Bank Ltd. in a HKD3.5 billion facility acquisition financing relating to the privatisation of Haier Electronics Group Co., Ltd. by way of a Bermuda scheme of arrangement involving an exchange of H shares of Haier Smart Home Co., Ltd., being the largest H-share privatization transaction in the history of the home appliance industry, the largest H-share privatization transaction of a Chinese company so far, and the largest H-share listing by introduction in history.
- Acting as BVI counsel to Pacific Aegis Capital Management in a HKD330 million structured loan financing to provide refinancing and liquidity support to HNA Group (International) Company Limited.
- Acting as BVI and Bermuda counsel to InfraRed NF, winner of the “Real Estate Debt Fund Manager” Private Debt Investor Award, in a USD92.2 million financing investment with Fullsun International Holdings Group, a Hong Kong listed property developer.
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to DBS Bank Limited on the acquisition financing relating to a HKD4.5 billion privatization of Springland International Holdings Limited, a company principally engaged in the operation of department stores and supermarkets in the PRC, by way of Cayman scheme of arrangement.
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to InfraRed NF, a Hong Kong-based joint venture between InfraRed Capital Partners and Vervain and a leading Greater China real estate investment manager, in a USD45.9 million financing investment with HeNeng Group in relation to residential developments in China.
- Advising AngelHub, Hong Kong’s first SFC licensed investment platform for professional investors and global technology start-ups as BVI counsel in all aspects of its corporate structure, subscription finance, employee stock option scheme and regulatory assessment.
- Advising the issuer in an issuance of unsubordinated and unsecured bonds to an international investment fund of an aggregate principal amount of USD20 million due 2022.
- Advising a leading world bank as Cayman counsel in relation to a USD150 million project financing and subsequent refinancing for the purposes of wastewater and sludge treatment, water supply and water environment rehabilitation in the PRC, which paved the way for a series of the bank’s collaboration with the private sector on natural resources and rural development in Asian developing countries.
- Advising a Chinese bank as Bermuda and BVI counsel in relation to a USD166.8 million facility for acquisition of oil and gas properties in the USA.
- Advising the Norwegian financial services as Bermuda and Cayman counsel in global shop finance and vessel acquisition deals, including a USD240 million loan facilities for the acquisition of ten vessels and a USD700 million facility for the collateral arrangements for change of ownership of vessels.
- Acting as BVI counsel for Citigroup Global Markets Asia Limited in connection with the sale of 26.02% interest in HK-listed Sun Art Retail Group Limited, held by Taiwan-listed Ruentex Group, to Taobao China Holding Limited, a subsidiary of Alibaba Group.
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel for CCB International in its purchase of convertible bonds issued by Pa Shun Pharmaceutical International Holdings Limited comprising of USD9.28 million of Series 1 convertible bond and USD6.19 million worth of Series 2 convertible bond.
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to Smart Globe Holdings Limited in its initial public offering on the Growth Enterprise Market of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD41.5 million.
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to Shen You Holdings Limited in its initial public offering on the Growth Enterprise Market of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with net proceeds of approximately HKD60 million.
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to Fineland Real Estate Services Group Limited in its initial public offering on the Growth Enterprise Market of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with gross proceeds of approximately HKD12.5 million.
- University of New South Wales (Australia)
- College of Law Australia (Australia)