Riley O’Brien is an associate in the Corporate department of Appleby’s Bermuda office. Riley’s practice focuses on corporate and commercial law, including banking and finance acting for both financial institutions and borrowers in bilateral and syndicated financings; capital markets involving public and private offerings as well as IPOs and exchange listings; investment funds, including the structuring and formation of master and feeder structures and ILS funds; public and private M&A; and technology, start-up, and early stage companies.
Prior to joining Appleby, Riley articled and practiced at a top-tier Canadian law firm in Calgary, Alberta.
Riley attended the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Law where he obtained a Juris Doctor with a business law concentration. He also earned a Bachelor of Commerce (with Distinction) from the Alberta School of Business at the University of Alberta.
Riley is a member of the Law Society of Alberta (inactive).
- Bermuda: Mergers and Acquisitions Comparative Guide – Mondaq – April 2021
- M&A Guide – Legal 500 – April 2021
- Preparing for a virtual AGM in Bermuda – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – October 2020
- Bermudian LLCs: a flexible solution – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – September 2020
- MARVELL TECHNOLOGY, INC., Acted as legal counsel to Marvell Technology, Inc. on a corporate restructuring in connection with its USD 10 billion acquisition of Inphi Corporation;
- MARVELL TECHNOLOGY GROUP LTD., Advised Marvell, a leading producer of semiconductor technology and data infrastructure, in an agreement to acquire Inphi Corporation. Enterprise value of the deal USD 10 billion;
- ETELEQUOTE LTD., Acted as Bermuda counsel to e-TeleQuote in connection with the sale of its operating subsidiaries to Primerica, a well established provider of financial services to middle-income families throughout the United States and Canada. This deal gives an enterprise value of $600 million;
- FLOATEL INTERNATIONAL LIMITED, Advised Floatel International Limited and it subsidiaries (the Group) on its successful, fully comprehensive balance sheet restructuring. The Floatel Group is renowned for providing offshore accommodation and support vessels;
- GASLOG LTD., Acting as Bermuda counsel to the Special Committee of Gaslog Ltd. in relation to its entry into an agreement and plan of merger, resulting in the sale of common shares to BlackRock’s Global Energy & Power Infrastructure team;
- INTEGRAL ILS LTD., Advised Integral ILS Ltd., in connection with a significant cornerstone investment from alternative investment manager New Holland Capital (NHC), bringing secured commitments up to $600 million;
- INTEGRAL ILS LTD., Advised Integral ILS Ltd., an independent alternative fund manager focused on insurance-linked strategies in connection with a significant cornerstone investment.
Faculty of Law at the University of British Columbia (Canada)
Alberta School of Business at the University of Alberta (Canada)