Nicole Sorbie is a Senior Associate within the Corporate department in Guernsey specialising in corporate and financing work within Appleby’s strong Banking and Finance practice.
Her experience covers the full spectrum of banking and asset finance, including acquisition finance, debt restructuring, real estate finance, project finance and fund finance, as well as the listing of specialist debt securities on The International Stock Exchange headquartered in Guernsey. She predominantly acts for leading UK and US-based onshore firms, domestic and international banks, private equity funds and multinational companies in the context of cross-border financing transactions.
Nicole has a keen interest in the private equity market having recently completed a secondment to the London fund finance team of Investec Bank. Whilst there, she worked alongside embedded legal counsel to advise and mitigate risks in the structuring and negotiating of deals across the UK, the Channel Islands, South Africa and New York, and was praised for bringing “energy, curiosity and amazing legal and commercial acumen to the team”.
In addition to her involvement in corporate and financing law, Nicole advises on all aspects of aircraft finance and contributes to the Channel Islands chapter of “Aircraft Finance: Registration, Security and Enforcement”, a Sweet and Maxwell publication.
Prior to joining Appleby in October 2016, Nicole trained and practised as a Scottish Solicitor and Scottish Notary Public in the Banking and Finance team of Harper Macleod LLP, where she spent time seconded to a sector of the Scottish Government assisting with large scale project management.
Nicole was named as a ‘Rising Star’ in The Legal 500 UK 2021 and is described as having a “calm demeanour” whose “experience and efficiency are second-to-none.”
Nicole qualified as an Advocate of the Royal Court of Guernsey in 2020.
Nicole’s recent highlights include advising:
- Tritax Big Box REIT plc on the Guernsey elements of an investment grade rated £1.5 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme (a first for Tritax) and a £350 million unsecured revolving credit facility;
- The Noé Group on the offshore aspects of the demerger of its investment business from BMO Real Estate Partners LLP;
- Nomura International Plc on the Guernsey and Alderney aspects of a €250 million term and revolving facility provided to gaming giant GVC Holdings Plc. The facilities refinanced GVC’s existing loan in place with Cerberus Business Finance LLP;
- BMO Real Estate Partners LLP on the Guernsey elements of a £191 million real estate portfolio acquisition of three retail assets across the UK, and managing the subsequent listing of six specialist debt securities from the corporate holding structure on The International Stock Exchange;
- Kaluga Investments S.á r.l. (a fund managed by Elliott Advisors) on the offshore aspects of funding provided to PerfectHome Capital, a special purpose vehicle in the Perfect Home group, to finance the acquisition of the beneficial title to loans originated by Temple Finance;
- Dbay Advisors on the listing of specialist debt securities on The International Stock Exchange; and
- Investec Bank on various confidential fund and bridging financings.
University of Glasgow (Scotland)
University of Strathclyde (Scotland)
Université de Caen (France)
“[Nicole’s] experience and efficiency are second-to-none”