Kyle Sutherland is a partner within the Corporate department in the Isle of Man. He is qualified to advise on both the laws of the BVI and Isle of Man, and specialises in a broad range of corporate and commercial disciplines in those jurisdictions, ranging from joint venture work, restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, asset finance transactions, private placement and listing work.
Kyle qualified as an Isle of Man advocate in 2003, before leaving the Island and spending several years working for law firms in the United Kingdom. Prior to joining Appleby in 2010, Kyle spent three years working in the corporate department of a leading British Virgin Islands law firm, where he was involved in a wide spectrum of cross-border transactions, and was lead lawyer on a number of high-profile deals.
Kyle heads up Appleby’s BVI (GMT) team, servicing clients with BVI legal advice in a European friendly time zone.
Kyle is recognised as a ‘Leading Individual’ in the Legal 500 UK 2021 edition and has been described as being “proactive and pragmatic” and “sensible and pragmatic”. Clients told Legal 500 that “Kyle Sutherland is one of our valued and trusted advisers. He always provides advice efficiently and pragmatically, and works very well with our team.”
Chambers UK 2021 ranks Kyle in the Corporate & Finance practice area, noting that sources appreciate he is “approachable and sensible in his advice”. Chambers UK 2021 sources also cited that he is “very professional and attentive”.
Some examples of recent transactions include advising:
- Strix Group plc on matters of Isle of Man law in connection with its £190 million listing on AIM.
- NEPI Rockcastle plc on matters of Isle of Man law in connection with its subsidiary’s, NE Property B.V., EUR 1.5 billion Guaranteed Euro Medium Term Programme, guaranteed by NEPI Rockcastle plc.
- Global Switch Holdings Limited on matters of BVI law in connection with its €3,000,000,000 Euro Medium Term Note Programme.
- Playtech Plc on matters of Isle of Man law in connection with its placement of €297 million of senior unsecured convertible bonds due 2019, issued by the Company’s wholly-owned Jersey subsidiary and guaranteed by the Company.
- Crossrider plc on matters of Isle of Man law in connection with its listing on AIM.
- The Sellers of Oldford Group Limited on matters of Isle of Man law relating to the sale of Oldford Group to Amaya Gaming Group Inc. (TSX: AYA) for an aggregate purchase price of US$4.9 billion. Oldford Group is the parent company of Rational Group, the world’s largest online poker business and owner and operator of the PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker brands. The acquisition was effected via a statutory merger under the Isle of Man Companies Act 2006 and is believed to be one of the first transactional mergers under the 2006 Act and highest value local deals ever completed in the Isle of Man.
- BC Partners, a leading European private equity firm, on matters of Isle of Man law in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in car rental technology platform CarTrawler from the Company’s founders, other individual shareholders and ECI Partners.
- Kleinwort Benson on its purchase of the Isle of Man entities of Close Brothers Group Plc and all associated regulatory licence applications on the Isle of Man.
- Playtech Limited on its redomicile from the BVI to the Isle of Man and subsequent listing on the London Stock Exchange.
- On the merger of two BVI group holding companies and the subsequent redomicile of the surviving company to Cyprus.
- Ferrous Resources with a tender offer for shares in the client by a consortium of shareholders led by Icahn Enterprises Holdings.
College of Law, Chester (England)
College of Law, London (England)