John Small is an associate within the Corporate department of Appleby’s Bermuda office practicing in all areas of corporate, commercial and regulatory insurance law.
John was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2016 and in the Republic of Ireland in 2017. He joined Appleby in 2020 after working at M&G Prudential (later M&G PLC) where his focus was on treaty reinsurance, inter-European portfolio transfers and bulk with-profits annuity schemes. Prior to that he was at EC3 Legal LLP, where he provided corporate, commercial and regulatory advice to London market participants; brokers, MGAs and Insurers, many of whom were implementing tech solutions. John also has experience of litigation in Courts of England.
John completed the Graduate Diploma in Law at City University London and the Legal Practice Course at BPP University Law School London. In addition to his legal qualifications, he holds a BSc and two MSc degrees from the University of the West Indies, the University of Edinburgh and University College London respectively. He is also a graduate of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and a regular panel judge of the National Technology Awards.
- NANOROCK FUND LTD., Provided full service Bermuda law advice regarding the formation and launch of the Nanorock fund including under Bermuda’s insurance and investment fund regulatory regimes;
- INTEGRAL ILS LTD., Advised Integral ILS Ltd., in connection with a significant cornerstone investment from alternative investment manager New Holland Capital (NHC), bringing secured commitments up to $600 million;
- STABLE GROUP, Acted as Bermuda counsel for the Stable Group in the structuring, establishing and licensing of its subsidiaries: Stable Corporation and Stable Bermuda;
- CHAUCER, Acted as Bermuda counsel for Chaucer, the international specialty (re)insurance group, in the formation and licensing of its Bermuda Class 4 insurer and insurance agent;
- ARGO GROUP, Advised Agro Group International Holdings, Ltd., an underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market, in an agreement to sell its reinsurance business, Ariel Re;
- INTEGRAL ILS LTD., Advised Integral ILS Ltd., an independent alternative fund manager focused on insurance-linked strategies in connection with a significant cornerstone investment.
University of the West Indies (Jamaica)
University College London (England)
University of Edinburgh (Scotland)
City University London Law School (England)
BPP University Law School (England)