Chet Pohl is a Group Partner* in the Corporate department in Guernsey. Chet practices in all areas of corporate and commercial law with particular expertise in financial services related matters, banking and finance transactions, large-scale mining, energy and resource projects and project finance, fund structuring and restructuring, and mergers and acquisitions.
Chet has an LLB from the University of London and B.Bus from Edith Cowan University (Western Australia).
He joined Appleby in January 2011, having previously worked for four years as an associate in the banking and finance group at Minter Ellison (Perth, Western Australia).
Chet is a past President of the Guernsey International Legal Association.
Chet was named as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ in The Legal 500 UK 2022 for both his ‘Banking and Finance’ and ‘Corporate and M&A’ work. Clients praise him for being “fundamental in transactions for navigating the processes of fund launches, providing a pragmatic and clear opinion on the pertinent matters” and that “his experience of the local scene is impressive.” Clients go on to say that “the team’s approach has been extremely helpful and practical – especially when dealing with multiple strands of concerned parties, including but not limited to the regulator” and that “we appreciate our ability to rely on the Appleby extended network for our international transactions.”
IFLR1000 named Chet as ´Highly Regarded´ in the 2021/2 edition for his Banking, Finance and M&A work. Clients told IFLR1000 that the team was “responsive, very impressive and dealt with by eminent lawyers on the island.” In addition that we “worked well with UK legal advisors.”
Chet´s experience includes advising:
- Platmin Limited in respect of its migration, asset consolidation and group restructure, numerous M&A transactions and preparation for listing.
- A sovereign wealth fund on its acquisition of an LP interest in the fund which owns Edinburgh Airport Limited, including the acquisition of a stake in the Guernsey GP proportionate to its investment in the limited partnership.
- A series of Guernsey investment vehicles on the establishment of JV companies for the purposes investing in UK property funds (student accommodation).
- A major US bank on a US$1.1 billion revolving facility to a significant global infrastructure fund in order to finance investment activities, working capital, credit support for portfolio investments and capital call bridges.
- German Equity Partners in respect of the restructuring of the German Equity Partners II LP and GEP-Coinvest LP structure including share exchanges, distributions and liquidation of various fund partnerships.
University of London (England)
Edith Cowan University (Western Australia)
Murdoch University (Western Australia)
* admitted in Western Australia
The speed and knowledge of partner Chet Pohl is excellent. His experience of the local scene is impressive