Michelle Brook is Counsel within the Corporate department in the Isle of Man, having joined Appleby in 2002. She has experience in a broad range of matters arising in the corporate finance, banking and asset finance, insurance and financial services regulation sectors.
Michelle acts for many international financial institutions, law firms, insurance companies and corporate service providers, advising on a full range of the key and complex legal issues that affect both their own businesses and those of their clients. She has previously undertaken a secondment to a leading international bank.
Michelle is recommended by Legal 500 UK 2015 for being “easy to deal with” and having “a good grasp of the law.” Michelle was recognised for her banking expertise within IFLR 1000 2015 with sources describing her as “a pleasure to work with” and that Michelle “knows her stuff and is appropriately commercial.” Most recently she was also recommended by Legal 500 UK 2016 for her banking and finance expertise.
Recent transactions include advising on the Isle of Man aspects of:
- The acquisition, by Aviva plc, of the Friends Life group of companies.
- The sale, by Lloyds Banking Group, of its offshore Isle of Man insurance operations.
- The cessation of the licenced business of Britannia International Limited on the Isle of Man.
- The provision, by a leading international bank, of loan facilities to local authorities, involving complex public law considerations.
- The restructuring of the financing arrangements of the Steam Packet Group.
- The financing, by Export-Import Bank of the United States, of a new satellite for the Inmarsat group of companies.
- Acting alongside a leading Irish law firm in connection with a high profile group reorganisation, involving numerous Isle of Man corporate entities, to achieve the implementation of an Irish non-filing structure.
College of Law (Chester, England)
University of Hull (England)
“Michelle knows her stuff and is appropriately commercial.”