John Riihiluoma is Senior Counsel in the Dispute Resolution Department in Bermuda. John recently retired from his position as a partner at Appleby.
John’s practice includes reinsurance disputes, directors’ and officers’ liability actions, shareholder and corporate disputes. He has also been active in insolvency and restructuring litigation. In recent years his practice has included a number of significant contentious trust matters.
John is ranked as a ‘Senior Statesman’ in Dispute Resolution by Chambers Global 2020. He continues to be viewed by peers as an “excellent technical lawyer” and a “fantastic legal brain.” John is respected for his “very measured, technical advice” as well as for his pragmatism and “instinct for what will work.” He is also consistently recommended by Legal 500 Caribbean in the Dispute Resolution and Trusts/Private Client category where he has been described as “a seasoned campaigner whose judgement is greatly respected.” John is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Arbitrators, and has acted as counsel in arbitrations and as an arbitrator.
He was appointed as an Assistant Justice of the Supreme Court of Bermuda for a one year term on 30 July 2012 to sit from time to time as may be required in civil and commercial matters. John has also sat as an acting Puisne Judge on an ad hoc basis over the past few years.
- Seadrill, Advised the coordinating committee representing a bank group holding USD 7.4 billion in secured debt, on Seadrill Limited’s successful completion of its USD 10 billion restructuring plan pursuant to its chapter 11 plan of reorganisation. This high profile restructuring was one of the most complex restructurings in history and the largest ever in the offshore drilling sector.
- B Lab, Provided Bermuda law advice to B Lab on the potential availability of B Lab certification to Bermuda organisations. B Lab is a non-profit organization which has created a certification which it awards to for profit organisations that are committed to the creation of value for society and not just for the traditional stakeholders of an organisation such as its shareholders.
- Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Lexology Getting the Deal Through – January 2020
- Americas Restructuring Review 2020 – Global Restructuring Review – December 2019
- The Insolvency Review, Seventh Edition – The Law Reviews – December 2019
- All Above Board on the Orient Express: Bermuda Share Structure Confirmed- Resolution, Offshore – April 2011
Inns of Court School of Law (London)
“A seasoned professional and has an acute eye for detail, but maintains the awareness of commercial reality – his performance has been exemplary.”