Steven Rees Davies is a partner within the Corporate department and Joint Global Head of Technology & Innovation, specializing in Fintech and the Digital Asset Business Sector. He practises in the areas of corporate finance, capital markets, regulation and intellectual property, and has represented clients in a wide variety of cross jurisdictional corporate transactions and restructurings as well as private and public offerings, placements and introductions to the Bermuda, London and New York stock exchanges. He is also frequently involved in multinational joint ventures and private equity projects.
His Bermuda and international corporate and regulatory experience covers telecommunications, technology, pharmaceutical, energy, inter-governmental and software industry sectors as well as corporate governance and constitutional advisory work. Steven is particularly renowned for his technical expertise in the area of international regulation which extends to international treaties, tax information exchange agreements, FATCA and the Common Reporting Standard.
Steven is consistently ranked by Chambers Global since 2015 and is highly regarded for his “very good, intelligent” counsel on corporate mandates. He regularly handles significant cross-border M&A transactions and offers additional strength in capital markets and fintech. Steven is also consistently recommended by Legal 500 Caribbean where he is described as “always available and responsive” and is listed as a ‘Rising Star’ in both the Banking & Finance and Capital Markets categories in IFLR1000 since 2015. Steven was also chosen by Who´s Who Legal as one of the world´s leading practitioners in the M&A and Governance field for 2019.
In addition to being called to the Bar in Bermuda, Steven has been called to the Bar of New York (US Southern District) and admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales (non-practising). He is also a member of the Bermuda Bar Association, the Law Society of England and Wales and the New York Bar Association.
Steven has authored and contributed to numerous articles and legal publications on points of Bermuda law, and has been invited to speak or act as a panel member on topics relevant to his practice at a variety of public and private events.
Recent contributions include:
- Data Protection in Bermuda: Overview – Practical Law, Thomson Reuters – June 2020
- Legal Frontiers in Bermuda – Asia Business Law Journal – July 2019
- Digital Assets – Why Offshore? – Cryptoslate – April 2019
- Global Token Sales Guide – Lex Mundi – April 2019
- The Regulation of Crypto-Currencies – Compliance Matters – February 2019
- Bermuda Chapter – Chambers and Partners’ FinTech 2018 Guide – December 2018
- Beware these Key Indicators of a Fraudulent ICO – WealthManagement – May 2018
- Comparing GDPR and PIPA – is there a difference? – Appleby – April 2018
- Bermuda Roundtable – Opalesque – December 2017
- Protecting Personal Information – Are you prepared? – Bernews – July 2017
- Bermuda thriving amid tax transparency drive – Royal Gazette – October 2016
Steven´s recent transactions include:
- Normandy Limited, advised Normandy Limited in respect of its merger with Caribbean Investment Holdings Limited.
- SLiC International Ltd., advised on the establishment of SLiC International Ltd. as a Bermuda company that would focus on the development and financing of green energy blockchain data centres.
- Southern Cross Cables Limited, advised on the Southern Cross NEXT subsea cable project. Southern Cross NEXT will provide data connectivity between Sydney, Aukland, and Los Angeles and is scheduled for completion by January 2022.
- Stablehouse, acted as counsel to Stablehouse in connection with its application for a Class M Licence.
- Siris Capital Group LLC, advised in relation to the acquisition of Travelport Worldwide Limited by Siris Capital Group LLC and Elliot Management Corp.
- Belmond Ltd., advised Belmond Ltd. on its acquisition by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE (LVMH).
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation, advised on the Bermuda aspects of its acquisition of Exhale, the wellness resort and spa company.
- Crown Holdings, Inc., advised a global leader in consumer packaging, in connection with its acquisition of Signode Industrial Group Holdings (Bermuda) Ltd., a leading global provider of transit packaging systems and solutions, from The Carlyle Group, in a cash transaction valued at USD 3.91 billion subject to adjustment.
- XBTO, advised on the successful application for a Digital Asset Business (DABA) Licence as a Digital Asset Service Vendor (Market maker for digital assets) under the Digital Asset Business Act which represented the third DABA licence to have been issued by the Bermuda Monetary Authority.
- America´s Cup Event Authority (Bermuda) Ltd., provided ongoing charitable legal advice to the America’s Cup Event Authority (ACEA) in relation to the application of the Charities Act 2014, as it related to its affiliated charitable organization, known as “Endeavour Community Sailing”.
- C&J Energy Services Limited, advised and represented C&J Energy Ltd and C&J Corporate Services (Bermuda) Ltd in respect of parallel provisional liquidation proceedings in Bermuda and chapter 11 proceedings in the United States of America.
- L. F. Wade International Airport – The Financial Investors, advised on the Bermuda law relating to the financing of the redevelopment of the L. F. Wade International Airport in Bermuda (Redevelopment) pursuant to which the clients subscribed for USD 285 million of fixed coupon notes.
- Major UK listed bank, advised a major UK listed bank (in its capacity as arranger, original lender, agent and security agent) on a USD 150,000,000 amendment and restatement agreement made between the bank and a major Bermuda based insurance group.
- One Communications Ltd. (One), advised One, a publicly traded investment holding company (BSX:ONE.BH) in a cross border refinancing transaction with HSBC Bank Bermuda Limited.
- IHS Inc., a dvised in relation to the Bermuda elements of the proposed merger with Markit Ltd, a leading global provider of financial information services, valued at USD 13billion.
- Triton Container International Limited, advised in relation to its merger with TAL International Group, Inc., a NYSE-listed, US company. The transaction creates the world’s largest lessor of intermodal freight containers with revenue generating assets valued at $8.7 billion.
- Waterloo Investment Holdings Limited, acted in connection with the issuance of 397,277,657 new ordinary shares with a par value of USD 0.50 each as at 21 July 2016 by way of a rights issue.
- El Tejar Limited, advised in respect of a major equity offering to its shareholders in order to recapitalise the Company by reducing gross leverage under certain convertible notes, the prepayment of indebtedness and for additional working capital.
- KeyTech Limited, advising in connection with a multi-layered transaction that included the acquisition of the remainder of Bermuda Digital Communications Ltd. (CellOne) and the acquisition by Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., of a controlling interest in Keytech.
Oxford Brookes University (England)
College of Law, Chester (England)
“We needed to get this deal done right first time and we did. We couldn’t have done it without him.”