Josephine Noddings is a Senior Associate in the Corporate department of Appleby´s Bermuda office practicing in all areas of corporate and commercial law, including insurance law and regulation, public and private M&A and joint ventures. In addition her practice includes advising on the structuring and formation of investment funds, including master and feeder structures and ILS funds. Josephine is a member of Appleby’s global Technology & Innovation team, providing comprehensive advice in connection with all aspects of initial coin offerings and the carrying on of digital asset business. Josephine graduated with an LLB (Hons) in 2009 and completed the Legal Practice Course at the University of Law, Guildford (formerly the College of Law) in 2011. She was admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales in March 2012 and joined Appleby in August 2017.
Josephine is ranked as a ´notable practitioner´ by IFLR1000.
Josephine also provides commentary to local media on various subjects.
Recent examples include:
- M&A Trends – Buyer Protections – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – April 2019
- The LLC and business combinatins – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – October 2018
- The benefits of blockchain for captive insurers – Captive International – 2018
- Bermuda broadens beneficial ownership regime – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – April 2018
- Longtail Aviation, advised Fabian Bello on the purchase of a majority interest in Longtail Aviation, a Bermudian-based charter jet operator and the only holder of a Bermuda air operators certificate.
- Artex SAC Limited, advised Artex SAC Limited in connection with several Dodeka private catastrophe bond transactions from ILS investment fund manager Twelve Capital
- Tullett Prebob, advised Tullett Prebon, one of the world´s leading interdealer brokers, on the launch of their Insurance-Linked Notes (ILN) platform which will allow registered users to buy or sell natural catastrophe protection using customisable instruments.
- Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited, acted for Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited during a competitive sale process (valued at c. $2.6 billion) which was won by private equity firm Apollo Global Management LLC.
- Seadrill, advised the coordinating committee representing a bank group holding USD 7.4 billion in secured debt, on Seadrill Limited’s successful completion of its USD 10 billion restructuring plan pursuant to its chapter 11 plan of reorganisation. This high profile restructuring was one of the most complex restructurings in history and the largest ever in the offshore drilling sector.
- Tailwind Re Ltd., advised Bermuda headquartered reinsurance firm Validus Holdings on its first full catastrophe bond issuance with the Tailwind Re Ltd., valued at $400 million.
- Hoplon III, advised on the incorporation and organization of a special purpose insurer, Hoplon III, and the formation of the purpose trust pursuant to the third insurance-linked (ILS) securities transaction from MyLotto24, a UK-based lottery provider owned by the Zeal Group. Matter value €90 million.
- Marvell Technology Group Ltd., (Marvell), advised on the acquisition of Cavium for USD 6 billion. Advice included the preparation of a presentation to be delivered to the directors of Marvell, outlining the fiduciary duties arising under Bermudian law in the context of the transaction.
University of Wolverhampton (England)
University of Law (Guildford, England)