Tammy Richardson-Augustus is a partner and a member of the Corporate department. She qualified in 1997 and became a partner in 2007. Tammy joined the group as an associate in the Corporate department in 1998, practising securities and funds work in both the Bermuda and Hong Kong offices of the firm. She then enjoyed some time as a stagiare in the eCommerce and general Corporate department of Linklaters in London.
Tammy maintains a diversified business transactions practice, with emphasis on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, capital markets and securities, secured and unsecured lending transactions and general corporate governance matters. She has extensive experience working with clients in a wide range of industries, including in energy, oil and gas exploration, and maritime shipping.
Tammy has been awarded many professional accolades throughout her career. She is recognized by Chambers Global 2021 in the Corporate category where she comes highly recommended for her “analytical” approach to complex international transactions. One client said: “She has great commercial sensibility, sound judgement, a strong pedigree and unparalleled relationships with industry regulators.” She is also recognized as a ‘Leading Individual’ in the Banking, Finance and Capital Markets category and recommended in the Corporate and Commercial category by Legal 500 Caribbean where once source commented: “Tammy is a top lawyer, not only technically but for the client attention she brings to the table. She gives practical clear solutions and adapts easily to the needs of our structure.” She is also recognized for her work with Allergan plc: Warner Chilcott Limited on its acquisition by AbbVie via a high-value cash and stock transaction. In 2018 she was recognized for assisting Global SC Finance IV, a subsidiary of marine container leasing company Seaco, with all the Bermuda aspects of its private placement of $294m of fixed rate asset-backed notes.
Tammy is a member of the Bermuda Bar Association and is a justice of the peace. She is also a founding member, legal counsel and press officer of WISTA Bermuda, Bermuda chapter of Women in Shipping and Trade Association and of BERMEPA (a chapter of NAMEPA – North American Marine Environment Protection Association) and serves on the boards of The BermudaFirst Think Tank, The Bermuda End-to-End, The Saltus Grammar School Board of Trustees and The Polaris Group of Companies. Tammy is also a coach and on the board of WeSpeak, where she sits on the legal and governance committees. WeSpeak is an organisation dedicated to coaching and increasing opportunities for professional women to be effective presenters.
- Threatened insolvency: Personal Exposure of Directors – Appleby: Offshore Business Update – May 2020
- Duties and Liabilities of Directors of Bermuda companies – Appleby: Offshore Business Update – April 2020
- Covid-19’s impact on AGMs – Strategies to consider – Appleby: Offshore Business Update – April 2020
- Shareholder activism during Covid-19 – Appleby: Offshore Business Update – April 2020
- Dividends in Covid-19 financial landscape – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – April 2020
- Activist shareholders: removal of directors – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – February 2020
- Bermuda companies and public information – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – March 2019
- INVESTMENT ENERGY RESOURCES LIMITED, Advised Investment Energy Resources Limited in connection with the refinancing of 100% of IERL´s current debt via the issuance of senior secured notes and entry into a syndicated secured bank loan facility. This transaction represented the largest green bond of a renewable energy company in Central America and the Caribbean;
- FLOATEL INTERNATIONAL LIMITED, Advised Floatel International Limited and it subsidiaries (the Group) on its successful, fully comprehensive balance sheet restructuring. The Floatel Group is renowned for providing offshore accommodation and support vessels;
- BORR DRILLING LIMITED (NYSE: “BORR”, OSE: “BDRILL”), Represented Borr Drilling in September 2020 on its successfully completion of an equity offering through the subscription and allocation of 51,886,793 new depositary receipts (the “Offer Shares”), representing the beneficial interests in the same number of the Borr Drilling’s underlying common shares, each at a subscription price of USD 0.53 per Offer Share, equivalent to NOK 5.01 per Offer Share (the “Subscription Price”), raising gross proceeds of USD 27.5 million. The Offer Shares were listed on Oslo Stock Exchange;
- HSBC SECURITIES (USA) INC. AND GOLDMAN SACHS & CO LLC (as initial purchasers), Represented the Initial Purchasers in August 2020 on Bermuda Governments successful completion of a 1.35B (upsized from an original target of 1.25b) of 2 new senior notes, split evenly into a 10 year maturity at a record low coupon of 2.375% and Bermuda’s first ever long dated issuance of 30 year at 3.375% to, inter alia, refinance existing debt that were at higher rates and to make a deposit into the sinking fund;
- BORR DRILLING LIMITED (NYSE: BORR, OSE: BDRILL), Represented Borr Drilling in June 2020 on its successful completion of an equity offering through subscription and allocation of 46,153,846 new depositary receipts, representing the beneficial interests in the same number of the Borr Drilling’s underlying common shares, each at a subscription price of USD 0.65 per share, equivalent to NOK 6.45 per share, raising gross proceeds of USD 30 million. The Offer Shares were listed on Oslo Stock Exchange;
- BORR DRILLING LIMITED (NYSE: BORR, OSE: BDRILL), Represented Borr Drilling in May 2020 in obtaining significant amendments to facilities from its secured lenders and shipyards that provided a total liquidity improvement of more than 315 million conditional on an USD 30 equity offering;
- ALLERGAN PLC: WARNER CHILCOTT LIMITED, Advised Allergan plc on its acquisition by AbbVie via a high-value cash and stock transaction;
- ACCORINVEST GROUP, Acted as Bermuda counsel to AccorInvest Group in connection with the sale of its Fairmont Southampton property. Fairmont Southampton which features 593-rooms, 10 restaurants, a spa, the 18-hole, par-three Turtle Hill Golf Club, the Mid-Ocean Amphitheatre and more than 25,000 square feet of meeting space is Bermuda’s largest tourism property;
- SEADRILL, Advised the coordinating committee representing a bank group holding USD 7.4 billion in secured debt, on Seadrill Limited’s successful completion of its USD 10 billion restructuring plan pursuant to its chapter 11 plan of reorganisation. This high profile restructuring was one of the most complex restructurings in history and the largest ever in the offshore drilling sector;
- THE BANK OF N.T. BUTTERFIELD & SON LIMITED., Mandatory Early Redemption of all outstanding 8.00 % Non-Cumulative Perpetual Limited Voting Preference Shares Guaranteed by the Government of Bermuda, Butterfield retired the entire Preference Share issue with a payment of 215.8 million (comprising principal and current dividends of 186.5 million and a make-whole premium of 29.3 million representing the present value of future dividends that Preference Shareholders would have received through 22 June 2019 maturity date);
- Very large global multinational oil and gas company, provided Bermuda law advice relating to potential restructuring plans and Bermuda schemes of arrangement in a complex group wide multi-national debt restructuring matter;
- HSBC SECURITIES (USA), Advised on matters of Bermuda law in connection with a USD 665,000,000 cash tender offer and initial purchase of a new issue of sovereign securities;
- NOMURA INTERNATIONAL PLC, Advised on the €320million Senior Secured Term and Revolving Facility comprising a €250million term loan and a €70million revolving credit facility and related security granted to GVC Holdings PLC to refinance the one year €250million loan facility granted by Nomura;
- GLOBAL SC FINANCE IV LIMITED., Advised in connection with a private placement of 294 million of fixed rate asset backed notes for one of the world’s leading marine container leasing companies;
- B LAB, Provided Bermuda law advice on the potential availability of B Lab certification to Bermuda organisations;
- ENERGY XXI LTD. (NASDAQ:EXXI), Advised on the adoption of a Net Operating Loss Shareholder Rights Agreement designed to preserve substantial tax assets of its U.S. subsidiaries with a value of USD 1.1 billion;
- Acted on an innovative combined debt capital markets and restructuring of existing senior lending facility deal for an LSE main market listed group. The deal value was in excess of USD 300 million and reflects increased activity in the African resources sector;
- INKIA ENERGY LIMITED, Provided Bermuda law legal advice to Inkia Energy Limited and IC Power Holdings (Kallpa) Limited in connection with a credit facility obtained by a Peruvian subsidiary of the companies with a matter value of USD 300,000,000;
- Provided Bermuda law advice to a large producer and marketer of fresh fruit and vegetables, in connection with its entry into a new credit facility, which consists of a 150 million revolving credit facility and a $500 million term facility with provisions for additional incremental loans;
- Acted for Initial Purchasers in the USD 750 million sovereign debt offering by Government of Bermuda (4.854% senior notes due 2024). The transaction represents the largest ever sovereign bond transaction and lowest ever bond spread for the Government of Bermuda, dual listed on Bermuda Stock Exchange and Luxembourg Stock Exchange;
- Advised in respect of the delivery and registration under the laws and flag of Bermuda with the Department of Administration of one semisubmersible accommodation and construction support vessel designed to operate in harsh environment and assisting with the registration of a first priority and a second priority mortgage thereon;
- COUGAR BIDCO LONDON LIMITED (vehicle for family trusts of Sahid Khan), Acquisition by Shahid Khan, owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and CEO of Flex-N-Gate LLC of Fulham Football Club, from Mohamed Al-Fayed. Appleby advised on the Bermuda law aspects of the acquisition of the re-acquisition corporate restructuring and the acquisition of the Bermuda holding company;
- Acted for the Bank of NT Butterfield & Son Limited (initial purchaser) in respect of the Government of Bermuda BD 50 million 4.750% Senior Notes due 16 December, 2023;
- HSBC SECURITIES (USA) INC. (initial purchaser), Acted in the USD 475 million Government of Bermuda bond issue (of 4.138% senior notes due 2023) at the time the country’s lowest fixed-rate bond yield offering ever. The Bermuda government will use the net proceeds from the debt offering to repay indebtedness, to finance capital expenditure programs and for other budgeted governmental purposes;
- BRUNSWICK RAIL LIMITED, a Bermuda-domiciled holding company, inrelation to the issuing of USD 600 million Eurobonds launched by Brunswick Rail Finance Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Brunswick Rail Limited and special purpose vehicle registered in Ireland for the purpose of issuing the notes;
- ECOPETROL S.A. in relation to its USD 690 million acquisition of Propilco (the largest producer of polypropylene and petrochemical manufacturer in Colombia).
Saint Mary’s University, (Canada)
University of Bristol (England)
“She understands our needs and it makes communication very easy.”