Juan Thornley is a partner in the Corporate department. He heads the Isle of Man Financial Services Regulatory and Insurance & Pensions teams.
Juan has a broad corporate practice with extensive experience advising financial services businesses (particularly banks and insurers) on restructuring, M&A and regulatory matters. He also has a wealth of experience acting on corporate transactions relating to listed companies.
He is rated in Legal 500 (2020) as a Leading Individual for Corporate and Commercial and referred to as a “stand-out individual”. He is also recognised as a key lawyer for Banking and Finance.
Juan is an Isle of Man Advocate, BVI Attorney and a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales (non-practising).
- Acting as lead adviser to The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited on the transfer of the Isle of Man Bank deposit-taking, lending, investment and insurance intermediary business to RBSI, by way of court-sanctioned transfer scheme.
- Advising Santander on the transfer of its deposit-taking and mortgage businesses in the Isle of Man for ring-fencing purposes, pursuant to a court-sanctioned scheme.
- Representing Avingtrans plc as Isle of Man counsel on its acquisition of Hayward Tyler Group plc through an Isle of Man scheme of arrangement.
- Advising on certain Isle of Man aspects of the acquisition by Basalt Infrastructure Partners of Manx Telecom plc.
- Acting for the Barclays group on the transfer of the business of Barclays Private Clients International Limited to Barclays Bank plc – establishing the precedent for the court-sanctioned transfers of banking business under Isle of Man law.
- Acting as lead advisor to Duncan Lawrie group on the sale of its Isle of Man investment management business and loan book.
- Advising on the Isle of Man regulatory aspects of a reorganisation of a multi-national insurance group.
- Advising CVC and Blackstone in relation to Isle of Man aspects of its £3 billion acquisition of FTSE 250 company Paysafe plc.
- Advising on the sale by an international banking group of its Isle of Man fiduciary services business.
- Acting for AIM listed PME African Infrastructure Opportunities plc in respect of its proposed reverse takeover of South African rail services business, Sheltham.
- Advising on multiple corporate and finance matters for a leading UK infrastructure and real estate investment group.
- Acting for London Stock Exchange listed Qatar Investment Fund plc in respect of matters including the implementation of a series of tender offers for the purchase of its ordinary shares.
College of Law, London (England)
University of Nottingham (England)
Corporate, Insolvency & Restructuring, Banking & Asset Finance, Corporate Finance, Derivatives, Fund Governance, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Listing Services, Structured Finance, Insurance & Reinsurance
“Technically able and delivers advice in a clear, thoughtful and effective manner.”