Darryl is a senior associate* within the Corporate Department in the Isle of Man.
Darryl has extensive experience of advising on local and international transactions. He focuses primarily on private M&A and has particular expertise in private equity, corporate governance and regulatory matters.
Darryl joined Appleby in 2022. Darryl started his career as a legal advisor for a supermajor oil company. After 2 years, Darryl moved into private practice at an international law firm based in Johannesburg, South Africa where he won the Associate Achiever Award in 2017 for the best all-round performing associate in the firm and the Associate Spokesperson of the Year in 2018 for his regular publications in mainstream media.
Darryl was awarded Attorney of the Year (Associate) at the African Legal Awards, 2018.
In 2019, Darryl moved to Australia to take up a position at an international law firm based in Melbourne. During his time in overseas, he gained an in-depth understanding of Australia’s foreign investment regime, worked on an assortment of large private M&A and private equity transactions in the Asia Pacific region and won his firm’s global FY20 Transaction Innovation Group Associate Award.
Outside of work, Darryl sits on the school governing board of St. David’s Marist Inanda and is a committee member of the Marist Old Boys’ Association.
Darryl has received a number of industry accolades in recent years, including:
- Transaction Innovation Group – Associate Award, Baker McKenzie, 2019
- Attorney of the Year (Associate), African Legal Awards, 2018
- Spokesperson of the Year (Associate), Hogan Lovells (South Africa), 2018
- Associate Achiever, Hogan Lovells (South Africa), 2017
- LLB, University of South Africa
- LLB (Non-award), Australian Catholic University
- PGCert, Advanced Company Law I, University of Witwatersrand
- PGCert, Advanced Company Law II, University of Witwatersrand
- PGCert, Competition Law, University of Witwatersrand
- PGCert, Mining and Prospecting Law, University of Witwatersrand
- PGCert, Individual Labour Law, University of Witwatersrand
- Accelerated Management Program, Yale School of Management
- English Law for International Lawyers, Euromoney Learning (London)
* Admitted in Australia and South Africa