Lalita Vaswani is Counsel in Appleby’s Dispute Resolution department. She has a background in commercial and corporate litigation with a focus on restructuring and insolvency.
Prior to joining Appleby, Lalita worked in the Litigation and Restructuring Group of a top tier Caribbean law firm, where she played a pivotal role on legal advisory teams in high-profile cross-border bankruptcy and insolvency matters throughout the Caribbean. She regularly appeared before the Barbados and Eastern Caribbean Supreme Courts.
Lalita read Law in England at the University of Warwick and the London School of Economics and Political Science. For her vocational education, she attended the College of Law in England where she obtained a Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice and the Hugh Wooding Law School in Trinidad where she obtained a Certificate of Legal Education. Lalita has been called to the Bars of England and Wales, Barbados, Saint Lucia and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Lalita is recommended in the Dispute Resolution category by Legal 500 Caribbean.
- Americas Restructuring Review 2022 – Global Restructuring Review, December 2021
- The Insolvency Review – Ninth Edition – The Law Reviews, October 2021
- Americas Restructuring Review 2021 – Global Restructuring Review – December 2020
- The Insolvency Review, Eighth Edition – The Law Reviews – December 2020
- Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Lexology Getting the Deal Through – January 2020
- Americas Restructuring Review 2020 – Global Restructuring Review – December 2019
- The Insolvency Review, Seventh Edition – The Law Reviews – December 2019
- Bermuda’s rescue culture in action: Noble Group Limited – The Bankruptcy & Restructuring Expert Guide – May 2019
- ETELEQUOTE LTD., Acted as Bermuda counsel to e-TeleQuote in connection with the sale of its operating subsidiaries to Primerica, a well established provider of financial services to middle-income families throughout the United States and Canada. This deal gives an enterprise value of $600 million;
- FLOATEL INTERNATIONAL LIMITED. Advised Floatel International Limited and it subsidiaries (the Group) on its successful, fully comprehensive balance sheet restructuring. The Floatel Group is renowned for providing offshore accommodation and support vessels;
- GLOBAL CLOUD EXCHANGE (GCX). Advised and represented an ad hoc group of bondholders holding $350 million of bond debt in respect of Bermuda winding up proceedings and the debt restructuring of GCX and its affiliates in a US Chapter 11 Plan;
- TITAN PETROCHEMICALS GROUP. Advised and represented a creditor of Titan¸ a Hong Kong listed company, with a convertible bond debt of HK$96.6 million in a rare Bermuda contested winding up petition;
- SEADRILL. Advised the coordinating committee representing a bank group holding USD 7.4 billion in secured debt, on Seadrill Limited’s successful completion of its USD 10 billion restructuring plan pursuant to its chapter 11 plan of reorganisation. This high profile restructuring was one of the most complex restructurings in history and the largest ever in the offshore drilling sector.
The University of Warwick (England)
The London School of Economics and Political Science (England)
The College of Law (England)
Hugh Wooding Law School, The University of the West Indies (Trinidad)