Chris Cheng is a partner in the Corporate department of Appleby’s Hong Kong office and he leads Hong Kong Capital Markets team. Chris has more than 20 years of offshore and onshore experience, having previously worked at an international law firm in Hong Kong specialising in capital markets transactions.
He has substantial experience in the area of capital markets, specialising in private and public offerings of debt and equity, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, privatisation as well as bank financing and other corporate and commercial law related transactions. Clients include Bermuda, Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands entities, many of which are listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, as well as banks and financial institutions.
In 2018 Chris was ranked in the Asia Legal Business 40 under 40 list which highlights “outstanding legal professionals in the region”.
Chris is registered with the Bermuda Bar and as a registered foreign lawyer in Hong Kong. Chris is admitted as a solicitor in the British Virgin Islands, Hong Kong and England & Wales.
Chris is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Recent deals include acting as:
- BVI counsel to CNPC General Capital Limited in the issuance of USD2 billion guaranteed Senior Notes and USD7 billion Medium Term Note Programme. This deal won the Debt and Equity-Linked Deal of the Year Award at the China Law & Practice Awards.
- Bermuda counsel to Kerry Logistics Network Limited in its initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with gross proceeds of approximately HKD2.2 billion.
- Cayman counsel to Times Property Holdings Limited in its initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with gross proceeds of approximately HKD1.94 billion.
- BVI counsel to CNPC Golden Autumn Limited, a subsidiary of China National Petroleum Corporation, the largest integrated oil and gas company in China, in the issuance of RMB guaranteed bonds in an aggregate principal amount of RMB2.5 billion and RMB500 million respectively. This deal was nominated for the Debt Market Deal of the Year in the ALB China Law Awards.
- BVI counsel to Sinochem Offshore Capital Company Limited in its issuance of 1.8% Guaranteed Notes in an aggregate principal amount of RMB3.5 billion guaranteed by Sinochem Hong Kong (Group) Company Limited. This deal was nominated for the Debt Market Deal of the Year in both the ALB HK Law Awards and the ALB China Law Awards.
- Cayman counsel to Kinetic Mines and Energy Limited, a Mongolian coal miner, in its listing on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange with gross proceeds of approximately HKD1.4 billion.
- Cayman and BVI counsel to Lumena Resources Corp. in its USD170 million global offering and listing of its shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. This transaction received an Honourable Mention in the Asian-Counsel ‘Deals of the Year’ edition and was nominated for the Equity Deal of the Year in the IFLR Asia Awards.
- Capital Markets
- Funds & Investment Services
- Telecommunications & Technology
- University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
- University of London (England)