Eason Huang is a legal manager in Appleby’s Hong Kong office and a member of the Corporate department. His practice focuses primarily on areas of formation of investment funds, including private equity funds and hedge funds. Eason joined Appleby in October 2017, prior to which, he worked with a top-tier offshore law firm and a top-tier PRC law firm for about four years in Hong Kong. Eason has significant experience in representing a wide range of sponsors in their fund formation, as well as a select group of well-regarded institutional investors in making investments in both private equity funds and hedge funds around the region. In addition to his offshore experience, Eason has also represented institutional investors on setting up RMB funds in China under the Chinese funds regime.
Eason was admitted to practice in the P.R. China.
Eason is a native Mandarin speaker, and fluent in English and Cantonese.
Recent cases include*:
- Advising a joint venture (between a PRC state-owned investment company and a top-tier PRC asset manager) on its setting up of a parallel structure partnership fund (with a SLP structure) with a focus on the global listed and unlisted equities as well as investing in other private equity funds
- Advising a Shenzhen-based investment group on the set up of a US$300 million Cayman Islands partnership fund, a parallel structure to an existing RMB fund, investing into private companies
- Advising Sunny Optical Technology (Group) Company Limited, a Hong Kong Main Board listed PRC company, a global leading integrated optical component and products manufacturer in relation to its bonds issuance in the amount of US$600,000,000
- Advising a Shanghai-based fund manager in forming and structuring its first-time offshore private equity fund with a focus on biomedical sector globally
- Advising a Hong Kong-based SFC licensed asset management company on setting up of a number of Cayman standalone funds and SPCs with numerous segregated portfolios
- Advising a Hong Kong-based fund manager on the setting up of an open-ended corporate fund structured as SPC with over 17 segregated portfolios
- Advising a China-based investment manager in forming a first-time offshore private equity fund in conjunction with other PRC co-sponsors to invest in agriculture industries in Australia
- Advising a China-based investment manager in forming an offshore private equity fund in conjunction with an onshore RMB fund to invest in media and entertainment companies in Asia
- Advising a Chinese insurance company in its investment in a U.S. PE fund under the regulatory regime of the China Insurance Regulatory Commission (CIRC) in connection with the application and investment of its insurance funds
- Advising a Hong Kong-based conglomerate in forming and structuring an RMB fund under the QFLP regime to invest in biotech companies in China
* Includes transactions completed by lawyer prior to joining Appleby
- Investment funds (both private fund and hedge fund)
- Corporate finance
Zhejiang Gongshang University, China, LL.B
City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, LL.M