Sophia Howell Evans is a senior associate within the Corporate department in the Isle of Man, specialising in banking and asset finance transactions, including property and ship finance matters. She also has experience in a broad range of trust –related matters. She joined the firm as a trainee and after completing her two year period of articles, Sophia qualified in November 2014 as an Isle of Man Advocate.
Sophia has particular experience in providing opinions on Isle of Man companies, dealing with cross-border security and insolvency issues and advising on all aspects of ship finance and registration in the Isle of Man. Her practice extends to trust law including advising both local and international clients on the establishment and restructuring of trusts and the use of trusts in corporate structures.
Sophia acts for many international financial institutions, law firms and corporate service providers, advising on a full range of the key and complex legal issues that affect both their own businesses and those of their clients.
Recent highlights have included:
- Advising the borrower as Isle of Man counsel in relation to the Isle of Man aspects of a group finance restructuring with a total commitment in excess of US$450 million including security being taken over vessels registered at the Isle of Man Ship Registry.
- Acting for secured lenders providing financing to corporate borrowers.
- Advising clients on drafting trust settlements, deeds of amendments and deeds of release and indemnities.
- Advising corporate trustee on mitigating risk following historical errors leading to ineffective appointment of trustees to a trust.
- Advising on the distribution of trust assets from an Isle of Man unit trust.
- Acting for lenders in financing and re-financing deals that secured various high value properties in the UK.
University of Chester (England)
College of Law, Manchester (England)