Anthony is Head of Dispute Resolution in Guernsey.
Anthony has significant experience in many areas of corporate litigation and dispute resolution. He has a particular expertise in high value and complex commercial litigation, with particular focus on investment fund disputes, regulatory enforcement, contentious insolvency matters, asset-tracing and recovery work, and trust litigation. Anthony has also appeared with success in the Court of Appeal.
Anthony qualified as an Advocate of the Royal Court of Guernsey in 2012. Anthony is also admitted to the roll of solicitors of England and Wales (non-practising) and as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland and High Court of Australia.
He is a member of R3, INSOL International, the Insolvency Practitioners Association, and the Association of Restructuring and Insolvency Experts.
Anthony was regarded as a notable practitioner by Chambers UK 2020 attracting plaudits for his “logical, thorough and tenacious approach” and for being “excellent, very experienced with good general knowledge of commercial law”. According to the same directory “he has attained significant experience appearing before the Royal Court and the Court of Appeal in areas including investment fund disputes, asset tracing and multi-jurisdictional litigation.”
Anthony was named as a “Leading Individual” in The Legal 500 UK 2020. Anthony is described as having “an impressive set of communication skills which, together with his solid knowledge of the law, helps the client to navigate the minefields of any litigation”. Clients praise Anthony as “a first-rate advocate” who “has an outstanding reputation” on island and leads Appleby´s “very strong team with “calm and cool-headed strategic thinking”.
Anthony’s experience includes:
- Advising HSBC on the transfer of their banking businesses in both Jersey and Guernsey into the respective Jersey and Guernsey branches of HSBC Bank Plc pursuant to a scheme in each jurisdiction. This is the first court sanctioned scheme of this kind in Guernsey
- Acting for a minority shareholder in multi-jurisdictional proceedings involving high value and strategic assets located in the Russian Federation, in connection with a high profile and complex dispute involving the majority shareholders.
- Advising a prominent trustee in relation to an application for norwich pharmacal relief in connection with an ongoing dispute in England concerning a major fraud involving high value assets located in Eastern Europe.
- Acting for an Icelandic bank in connection with an application to recognise foreign insolvency proceedings.
- Acting for and advising a prominent custodian in relation to proceedings involving an investment fund providing litigation funding services.
- Acting for a major US Hedge fund in relation to a dispute involving a Guernsey investment fund.
- Acting for a global bank in connection with claw back claims instituted by the US Trustee of Madoff and the Liquidators of Fairfield.
- Regularly advising various funds and fund service providers including custodians and investment managers / advisors as regards their rights and obligations vis-à-vis one another and the proper interpretation of the constitutive documents.
University of Queensland (Australia)
Université de Caen (France)
Anthony has an impressive set of communication skills which, together with his solid knowledge of the law, helps the client to navigate the minefields of any litigation