Erin practices a broad range of commercial litigation working in Appleby’s Dispute Resolution team in the Isle of Man. Having trained in the Isle of Man, Erin joined Appleby in October 2015 after gaining several years’ experience at a leading offshore firm in Guernsey.
She specialises in trust disputes including advising trustees and beneficiaries on a wide range of contentious trust and estates issues.
Erin completed her STEP Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes in 2014 and is an associate member of STEP. She is also a member of ConTrA (The Contentious Trusts Association) and regularly presents to trust service providers on the obligations of trustees.
Legal 500 UK 2021 again ranked Erin as a ‘Rising Star’ in Dispute Resolution, describing her as “excellent”. She has also been highly praised her for contentious trust expertise and recognised by previous editions of Legal 500 for having “a great intellect” and for being “adept at taking in all angles for a practical solution”.
Some recent examples of representative work include:
- advising trustees in respect of potential disputes with beneficiaries;
- advising trustees and beneficiaries in applications for rectification and/or rescission on the grounds of mistake;
- advising beneficiaries in an application for a variation of trusts under the Variation of Trusts Act 1961;
- advising trustees and executors in relation to applications to the Court for directions;
- advising executors and administrators in relation to the contentious aspects of the administration of estates;
- McSween v Royal London, successully defending an insurance company in a claim for negligent misrepresentation.
Queen Mary, University of London (England)
University of California, Berkeley
College of Law, Bloomsbury (England)
BPP Law School, Leeds (England)