Peter Colegate is a Partner in the Corporate Group and Global Head of Appleby’s Technology and Innovation Group. His practice is focused on privacy, data protection and strategic corporate-commercial and regulatory work in the technology and innovation sectors.
Peter has a keen interest in emerging technologies and has worked on numerous blockchain based offerings and smart contract projects across multiple jurisdictions. A privacy and data protection specialist, Peter is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and sits on the Cayman Islands Government’s Working Group on Data Protection. Peter has written and spoken extensively about privacy, data protection and new technologies across Asia and the Caribbean region, recognising that regulatory issues are often the threshold question for new business models, products and services. He is a founding member of the Blockchain Association of the Cayman Islands, a member of the Financial Services Legislative Committee Fintech Sub-Committee, the Cayman Finance Fintech Innovation Lab and the Fintech Professionals Association.
In 2020, Chambers and Partners ranked Appleby’s Technology and Innovation Group as Band 1 for Offshore Fintech and Peter was recognised as a “notable practitioner”. Legal 500 named Peter as a ‘Rising Star’ noting him as a “subject matter expert, responsive and detail-oriented” for Regulatory and Compliance.
Prior to joining Appleby in January 2017, Peter was a member of Hogan Lovells’ technology, media and telecommunications group in Hong Kong and helped build the firm’s privacy practice in Asia.
Peter is admitted as an attorney-at-law in the Cayman Islands, as a solicitor in the British Virgin Islands, as a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practicing) and was a registered foreign lawyer in Hong Kong.
Recent contributions include:
- One Trust Data Guidance: Cayman Islands: Regulation of virtual assets
- The Lawyer Magazine: Protecting Personal Data from the Corona Virus
- Cayman Financial Review: Technology and Privacy – is the GDPR already out of date?
- IFC Economic Report: As the Blockchain revolution moves offshore, what are the challenges?
- Blockchain briefing – key takeaways from London, Singapore and New York
- AlphaWeek: How best to protect your investment in a Cayman Islands based crypto hedge fund
- Property Magazine: Trademark Talk: Cayman Calling
- GDPR and the Data Protection law – two sides of the same coin
Could Blockchain technology revolutionise financial services in Cayman?
- Bernews: Protecting Personal Information- are you prepared?
- Cayman Compass: Data protection law places new obligations on businesses
- Cayman Funds: Protecting Personal Data is the industry prepared?
- Appleby eAlert: Comparing GDPR and PIPA – is there a difference?
- Acting as lead counsel on the structuring and issuance of ERC20 tokens for an innovative blockchain-based identity management network;
- Advising on the establishment of a decentralised peer-to-peer casino platform;
- Advising on the issuance of the first all-in-one digital wallet to manage digital identity and Ethereum tokens;
- Advising a blockchain based platform designed to catalyse trade financing in emerging markets;
- Advising a leading international technology company on the e-commerce, data privacy and music licensing aspects of launching its online music streaming service
- Advising a leading Chinese mobile chat service on the global (200 countries) launch of its new VoIP service*
- Advising a bank on the privacy and data protection implications of using biometric technology for customer identification
- Advising a leading payment service provider on commercial and regulatory aspects of their electronic and mobile payment services
- Advising a global smartphone application service provider on pan-Asia regulatory issues prior to the launch of its app-based data storage service*
- Advising a leading international technology company on the regulatory requirements for the launch of its internet TV service
- Advising a leading technology business and a global health insurer on pan-Asia data privacy aspects of their respective health information apps*
- Advising two global banks on the bank secrecy and data privacy implications of transferring customer data to overseas regulators*
- Advising a worldwide provider of telecommunications services on the regulatory and licensing requirements for launching machine-to-machine services in Hong Kong*(*experience prior to joining Appleby)
- LLM Commercial Intellectual Property, Nottingham Law School
- LLB (joint honours), University of Keele