Tim Swift is Counsel within the Dispute Resolution department in the Isle of Man. He is an English Solicitor, Manx Advocate and Commissioner for Oaths with over 30 years’ experience in all forms of Civil and Commercial Litigation, having acted for private, commercial and union clients. Tim has worked both in Private Practice and in the Legal Department of a leading UK Insurance Company. Until his move to the Isle of Man he was a Deputy District Judge sitting in the North West of England for some 10 years and a partner in a firm of Liverpool Solicitors heading up their Civil Litigation and Personal Injury Department.
Tim has conducted many high profile matters in the course of his career and continues to do so.
Although experienced in a broad range of Civil Disputes, Tim specialises in Personal Injury and Professional Negligence cases. He acts on the behalf of leading insurers in relation to all types of Personal Injury claim (road traffic accidents, workplace accidents, public and occupiers liability cases), including ones of maximum severity. He deals with negligence claims against a variety of professionals (lawyers, accountants, surveyors and medical practitioners) and acts in connection with complaints before the Advocates Disciplinary Tribunal.
Tim regularly appears in the Coroner’s Court and has represented Interested Persons in a number of high profile Article 2 Inquests.
He also acts in various Trust/Probate claims and Commercial disputes.
Tim has a particular specialism in cases involving vexatious litigants and is a leading Manx expert with regards to Civil Restraint Orders.
His experience involves acting for both Claimants and Defendants.
Examples of Tim´s work include:
- Akhavan & Sigma Holdings Ltd v Quinn Legal Advocates Ltd ORD2012/64 – Advocate Negligence, successful defence
- Mellor v Corden SUM2010/89 – Nuisance and Easements, successful claim
- Manx Auto Rescue & Others v Mann & Partners & Others 2DS2012/15 – Advocate Negligence, successful rejection of an appeal
- Walshaw & Others v Scott & Others ORD2010/38 – Successful challenge to a codicil
- Wildman & Others v Fletcher SUM2011/12 – Successful application for a General Civil Restraint Order
- Manx Auto Rescue Club & Others v Mann & Partners & Others CLA2003/107 – Advocate Negligence, various matters, successful defence
- O’Brien v Bernhard Schulte & ot SUM 2013/130 – a successful application to strike out a claim