Tonesan Amissah is the Managing Director of Appleby Global Services (Bermuda) Ltd and a former partner of Appleby (Bermuda) Limited, where she practiced within the corporate department as a member of the corporate finance and funds and investment services teams. Having joined Appleby as an associate in 1989, she became a partner in 1998 and has extensive experience in respect of the structuring, formation and day to day operations of a wide range of investment vehicles, including mutual funds, hedge funds, unit trusts, private equity, segregated account companies, partnerships, and master/feeder structures. In her practice, Tonesan also focused on other debt and equity financings, bond issues, project finance, M&A transactions and the structuring and offering of listed securities.
Tonesan has had a long history of sitting on boards of Bermuda companies as an independent director and is a member of the Institute of Directors. She has been an accredited speaker for the Regulatory and Compliance Association since 2015 and has participated at a number of conferences and seminars.
Tonesan was ranked as a ´notable practitioner´ by IFLR1000 and consistently recommended, most recently in 2018 by Legal 500 Caribbean in the Banking, Finance and Capital Markets and Corporate and Commercial areas where clients have stated that she gives “sensible advice.”
- Bermuda Chapter of Private Funds: Where and How? – Dechert LLP – March 2018
- The Asset Management Review – The Law Reviews – October 2018
- Insurance linked securities and the Bermuda fund structure – HFM Week Special Report Bermuda – June 2018
- Fund Finance: Bermuda Chapter – Global Legal Insights – February 2017
- Private Equity 2016 Virtual Round Table – Corporate LiveWire – October 2016
- Bermuda Chapter – Asset Management Review – September 2016
Some examples of Tonesan’s representative work include advising:
- Marvell Technology Group Ltd., (Marvell), advised on the acquisition of Cavium for USD 6 billion. Advice included the preparation of a presentation to be delivered to the directors of Marvell, outlining the fiduciary duties arising under Bermudian law in the context of the transaction.
- Orion Mine Finance, advised Orion Mine Finance and Fusion Capital on the sale of Lynx Resources, the owner of the SASA zinc, lead and silver mine in the Republic of Macedonia, for USD 402.5m to Central Asia Metals (“CAML”).
- The Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Limited Mandatory Early Redemption of all outstanding 8.00 % Non-Cumulative Perpetual Limited Voting Preference Shares Guaranteed by the Government of Bermuda, Butterfield retired the entire Preference Share issue with a payment of $215.8 million (comprising principal and current dividends of $186.5 million and a make-whole premium of $29.3 million representing the present value of future dividends that Preference Shareholders would have received through 22 June 2019 maturity date).
- HSBC Securities (USA), advised on matters of Bermuda law in connection with a cash tender offer and initial purchase of a new issue of sovereign securities with a matter value of USD 665 million.
- The Carlyle Group, completed the acquisition of Veritas, an information management systems provider, from Symantec Corp for a total purchase price of USD 8 billion. The transaction was the biggest U.S leveraged buyout announced in 2015 and the largest solo private equity purchase of U.S assets since 2011.
- Investec Bank Plc, provided legal advice in connection with providing a master facility to Oakley Capital Private Equity.
- KeyTech Limited, advising in connection with a multi-layered transaction that included the acquisition of the remainder of Bermuda Digital Communications Ltd. (CellOne) and the acquisition by Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., of a controlling interest in Keytech.
- In relation to and drafting and reviewing the content and form of mutual fund prospectuses.
- In relation to documents for IPOs of shares, warrants and bonds for companies listed on international stock exchanges and also for private placements.