Shannon Cann is an associate in the Corporate department of Appleby´s Bermuda office. Shannon practises in all areas of corporate and commercial law including banking and corporate finance, mergers, amalgamations, restructuring, re-domestications and insurance law and regulation.
Shannon graduated from the University of the West of England with a Commercial Law LLB (Hons) in 2013 and completed the LLM Legal Practice Course at the University of Law, Bristol (formerly College of Law) in 2014. Shannon was called to the Bermuda Bar on 9 October 2015.
- Bermuda to introduce new classes of insurers – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – July 2019
- Bermuda companies and public information – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – March 2019
- Bermuda strengthens aircraft financing laws – Royal Gazette – July 2017
Shannon´s recent expertise includes:
- Convex Group Limited, acted as Bermuda counsel to Convex Group, a newly launched specialty re/insurer. The group has been capitalised initially with approximately USD 1.6 billion of common shareholders’ equity, drawn from a USD 1.8 billion facility provided by a consortium of investors. Convex Group Limited is a specialty insurer and reinsurer focused on complex risks founded by Stephen Catlin and Paul Brand, with operations in Bermuda and London.
- Ed Broking LLP, acted as Bermuda counsel to Ed Broking (Bermuda) Limited in connection with its registration as an insurance broker under the Insurance Act 1978, as amended.
- Geneva Reinsurance Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel to Geneva Re Ltd. in connection with its formation and registration as a Class 3A insurer under the Insurance Act 1978, as amended.
- Oceanview Life Insurance., assisted with the formation and licensing of Oceanview Reinsurance Ltd. as a Class E insurer.
- Matterhorn Re Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel to Matterhorn Re Ltd. in connection with the sale and issue by the company, acting in respect of its segregated account, of Class A Principal At-Risk Variable Rate Notes.
- Globant Espana SA, acted as legal counsel for Globant Espana SA, (NYSE: GLOB), a digitally native technology services company in its acquisition of Avanxo, a leading cloud transformation company with presence in the United States, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Peru and Argentina.
- 777 Re Ltd., assisted with the formation and licensing of 777 Re. Ltd. as a Class D insurer and acted as legal counsel in relation to the company’s first transaction.
- Partner Re Life, assisted PartnerRe Ltd. with the formation and licensing of PRE Life Bermuda Re Ltd. as a Class C insurer. PRE Life Bermuda Re Ltd. was formed to write reinsurance ceded form affiliated US business.
- Northstar Group (Bermuda) Limited, acted as Bermuda counsel to Northstar Group (Bermuda) Limited in connection with its acquisition of Providence Life Assurance Company (Bermuda) Ltd.
- Acted as Bermuda counsel in relation to the first captive to be formed in Bermuda to manage risk associated with crypto currencies.
- Fleming Reinsurance Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel for Fleming Reinsurance Ltd., a Bermuda-based specialist run-off insurer, in connection with its licensing as a Class 3A insurer. In January 2019, Fleming Reinsurance Ltd. announced the completion of its first run-off transaction.
- CICA Life Bermuda Ltd., assisted with the formation and licensing as a Class E insurer. CICA Life was set up for the purposes of receiving the entire international life insurance portfolio of CICA Life Insurance Company of America, through a novation agreement to CICA Life by way of a portfolio transfer.
- Hoplon III, advised on the incorporation and organization of a special purpose insurer, Hoplon III, and the formation of the purpose trust pursuant to the third insurance-linked (ILS) securities transaction from MyLotto24, a UK-based lottery provider owned by the Zeal Group. Matter value €90 million.
- Carolina Re Ltd., assisted with the formation and licensing of Carolina Re Ltd. as a Class 3A insurer. Carolina was set up for the purpose of providing reinsurance protection to six US affiliated entities through intragroup quota share agreements on a fully collateralized basis.
- One Communications Ltd., advised One, a publicly traded investment holding company (BSX:ONE.BH) in a cross border refinancing transaction with HSBC Bank Bermuda Limited and the adjudication of claims.
- Triton Container International Limited, advised in relation to its merger with TAL International Group, Inc., a NYSE-listed, US company. The transaction creates the world’s largest lessor of intermodal freight containers with revenue generating assets valued at $8.7 billion.
- KeyTech Limited, advising in connection with a multi-layered transaction that included the acquisition of the remainder of Bermuda Digital Communications Ltd. (CellOne) and the acquisition by Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., of a controlling interest in Keytech.
- Valor Group Ltd., advised on the formation of VL Assurance (Bermuda) Ltd., a Bermuda exempted company, which was established to merge with Bermuda International Insurance Services Limited, a Bermuda local company registered as (a)a Class C Insurer and (b)a segregated accounts company (Merger).
University of Law (Bristol, England)
University of the West of England (Bristol, England)