Sarita Ebbin is an associate within the Corporate department. Sarita advises hedge fund and fund of fund managers in connection with structuring, formation and day to day operations of investment vehicles, including mutual funds, hedge funds, unit trusts, partnerships and master/feeder structures. She also advises in relation to ILS fund structures, the formation and licencing of captives, special purpose insurers, insurance managers and agents and general insurance matters.
Sarita also has experience in advising on private and public offerings (equity and debt), M&A transactions, structuring and capitalisation of private holding and operating companies, and the regulation of investment funds and entities licensed to carry on investment business.
Sarita was awarded a postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice from The College of Law, Moorgate in 2012. She earned her Bachelor of Law from Brunel University in West London, United Kingdom in 2011 and her Honours Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from York University in Toronto, Canada in 2008.
Sarita speaks conversational Portuguese.
- Key changes to Bermuda funds classifications – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – May 2019
- Guide to Private Equity in Bermuda – International Comparative Legal Guide – July 2018
- GDPR and PIPA Compliance – The Captive Review, Bermuda Report – June 2018
- Insurance linked securities and the Bermuda fund structure – HFM Week Special Report Bermuda – June 2018
- Rewire Bermuda Feeder Fund, acted as Bermuda counsel to Rewire and Vida in connection with the launch of new ILS manager Merion Square.
- Artex SAC Limited, advised Artex SAC Limited in connection with several Dodeka private catastrophe bond transactions from ILS investment fund manager Twelve Capital.
- Artex SAC Limited, Appleby advised Artex SAC Limited in connection with a $50.22 million catastrophe bond transaction.
- Hiscox Ltd., advised on the issuance of its £275,000,000 2.000 per cent. Notes due December 2022. Appleby’s role included providing local law and regulatory advice and reviewing, commenting and negotiating all relevant agreements.
- Hudson Structured Capital Management Ltd. in respect of the purchase, by its client, of USD 25 million floating rate subordinated notes due 2028 issued by Catalina General Insurance Ltd. Avised on local Bermuda law regarding regulatory and regulation as well as reviewing, commenting and negotiating relevant agreements.
- Bonanza Re Ltd., acted as special legal counsel in connection with the sale and issue by the client of a Series 2016-1 Class A and Class B Principal-at-Risk Variable Rate Notes with a total value of US$200 million.
- L. F. Wade International Airport – The Financial Investors, advised on the Bermuda law relating to the financing of the redevelopment of the L. F. Wade International Airport in Bermuda (Redevelopment) pursuant to which the clients subscribed for USD 285 million of fixed coupon notes.
- Genstar Capital, acted as Bermuda counsel to Genstar Capital (Genstar) in its entry into definitive agreements to recapitalize independent fund administrator Apex Fund Services (“Apex”) and simultaneously acquire Equinoxe Alternative Investment Services (“Equinoxe”). With the addition of Equinoxe, Apex will increase its suite of middle office solutions and will administer close to $80 billion in assets.
- Kuvare Holdings LP., advised in relation to the formation and structuring of Kuvare Life Re Ltd., a Bermuda exempted company registered as a class E insurer.
- Kiskadee Investment Managers Ltd. (subsidiary of Hiscox), acted in connection with its establishment of a “fund of one” structure for an institutional investor, that included an excluded fund and a special purpose insurer.
- KeyTech Limited, advising in connection with a multi-layered transaction that included the acquisition of the remainder of Bermuda Digital Communications Ltd. (CellOne) and the acquisition by Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., of a controlling interest in Keytech.
- HFR Asset Management, LLC Acted in relation to the ongoing launch and maintenance of separately managed transparent single manager and multiple manager hedge funds on the Bermuda side of the “HFR Platform”.
- Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd. acted in relation to its sale to the Endurance Specialty Group for a purchase price satisfied by a mixture of shares and cash valued at USD$1.83 billion and structured by way of merger with an Endurance subsidiary.
- Advised a (re)insurance company on a joint venture with a private equity firm in the formation of a new Bermuda company that will be the holding company for funds offering insurance-linked and traditional insurance products. Appleby’s role included incorporating the company and advising on elements of the joint venture, such as the constitutional documents and shareholders agreement.
- Vector Reinsurance Ltd. acted in the establishment of Vector Reinsurance Ltd., which is licensed as a special purpose insurer to participate in collateralised reinsurance and other non-traditional risk placements for the XL Group. Appleby’s role included incorporating the vehicle, preparing its business plan, submitting its license application to the Bermuda regulators, organising and arranging the capitalizing of the company to allow it to participate in the June 2013 renewal season.
- MetroCat Re Ltd., providing First Mutual Transportation Assurance Co. (a New York State-licensed captive insurer and subsidiary of the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority) with $200,000,000 of reinsurance protection for storm surge risks (and the first catastrophe bond to bring storm surge risk alone in a transaction to insurance-linked securities investors), using a parametric trigger, with trigger events linked to actual surge heights during named storms as measured by tidal gauges in key locations around New York and Manhattan.
The College of Law (London, England)
Brunel University (England)
York University (Canada)