Ryan is Counsel in Appleby’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group in the Cayman Islands.
Ryan has experience in a broad range of civil and commercial cases and investigations, including professional negligence, cross-border insolvency, contractual disputes and regulatory matters. He has particular experience in the conduct of complex and large-scale international litigation and arbitration, including proceedings in Guernsey, Hong Kong, the United States and the Cayman Islands.
Prior to joining Appleby, Ryan worked in the South Australian office of a leading international practice. He was admitted as a Solicitor in South Australia (now non-practising) in 2012.
*Representative work includes:
- Acting for the Liquidators of a United States and Cayman Islands-based hedge fund in the investigation and pursuit of claims against its former-managers and service providers, including extensive document recovery efforts in multiple jurisdictions.
- Representing the Liquidators of an investment fund based in Guernsey in their claims against the company’s former directors for breaches of directors’ duties, culminating in a six-month trial in 2016 and an appeal in 2018.
- Representing the Liquidators of a Hong Kong-based forestry company in proceedings against its former auditors, arising from their alleged failure to detect a massive fraud by the company’s former directors.
- Advising on disputes arising from the sale of an Australian-based company, including defending allegations that the purchaser ‘hacked’ the seller’s IT systems to obtain confidential commercial information.
*experience prior to joining Appleby
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice (First Class), Flinders University (Adelaide, Australia).
- Bachelor of Arts, Flinders University (Adelaide, Australia)